Lionclaw

Well Known Member
I don't recall ever seeing the red-flanged fuel cap in the Van's web store.

http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1358747406-92-207&browse=misc&product=delux-cap

cat-med_delux-cap.jpg

Is this new? The text on the page makes it sound like it is now being introduced with the RV-14. Does anyone care to offer an opinion on it?

That new cap is standard equipment with the RV-14 wing kit. Nice cap and easy to open. I'm not sure if it could be retrofitted while building a different model RV. It can't be swapped with existing cap because the flange opening is different.

Thanks for the pirep Mark. I'll be dropping an order for a -10 wing kit soon and I've been trying to figure out what to add/delete.

The pre-drilled flange must be nice on the -14 (assuming the skin is drilled to match). I'll probably go with the locking caps from newton...

T-00007 Weight

I was enlarging the fuel tank filler hole today for the alternative T-00007 cap, and decided to see how much weight we are saving. According to my wife's kitchen scale, the new cap plus flange together weigh 3 3/8 oz, and the standard Vans cap plus flange (T-406A & B) together weigh 6 oz. I don't have any deluxe caps to weigh unfortunately. But my total weight saving vs the standard cap will be 5 1/4 oz. Plus I think the new caps are much better than the old ones since they are so much easier to operate. They don't have locks but I'm not keen on having extra keys to lose!

If you look at the videos on the mothership's RV-14 walk around / preflight, you will see some additional details on these new fuel caps.