sbalmos

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hi all,

Starting on my wings, I'm most likely going to buy the Dynon heated pitot tube. Reading back through some old threads from years back, there were mentions that some people still had the tube ice over, even with heat, and even after multiple replacements by Dynon. I was wondering if this is still a problem as of late? For reference, my flight profile for needing pitot heat is very light icing / minimal IMC on midwest Ohio (Cincinnati) winter days where it's mostly clear, maybe freezing fog / mist. Nothing really bad. I know better than to fly in anything worse. ;)

The Dynon tube still looks to be the most cost-effective, and if I happen to use a Skyview, AOA's already there. I'm leaning towards AFS, so I'll just cap the AOA tube in that case. But better to cover as many possibilities as I can.

Thanks for any "refreshers" on whether this is still an issue, if it would even apply to my light freeze conditions or not, etc.

My heated pitot works well, even when "inadvertently flown into moderate plus icing" and that's all I want to say about that.:eek::eek:

Actually... It was not me.

I have one, and it gets warm when tested on the ground. You raise an interesting point, does it get hot enough in flight? I haven't tested it in icing.

I'd suggest you run a line for the AOA port. While I have a GRT for my main EFIS I have a Dynon D6 for a back up, and I like its audio AOA alert.

So how hot should it be?

Well don't know but, on certified aircraft it will melt the vinyl pitot cover if left on, on the ground. Ask me how I know.

I remember doing a quick turn around in a Brittan Norman Islander about 30 years ago with the aircraft all shut down (just) and master off and an annoying passenger decided to hang his lazy hand from my pitot while jawing away to his friend. Last time he ever did that! Ouch!;)

Clearly, only ?warm? is not considered enough in the certified world.

Gerry.
:)

You are a cunning old devil:D

The Dynon heater ramps up to maintain a warm temperature regardless of outside air temperature.

The old certified style needed to be just as warm at well below freezing so the heat generated is constant and thus really hot on the ground.

I used a SS Falcon heated pitot from ACS and I bet it gets over 500F drawing about 8A. Simple on or off and watch my efis amp reading for conformation.

Last edited:
Wayne, are you sure it wasn't a Gerz? My Dynon pitot is metal. When I said it got warm in the hangar, I only had it on long enough to test it. So I don't know what its setpoint is.

You probably saw my posts of having it ice over multiple times even after replacement. In my non expert opinion there are a couple of possible problems, the opening is too wide and lets in too much moisture, the drain hole is too small or the heat may not be up to it keeping it clear. I had it plug up even without airframe icing. It usually happens when OAT is very cold. I replaced it with a used certified heated tube and have not had any more problems.

What data have you on these frozen flights?

And how do you explain our RV10 with half an inch of ice or more on the wings, up the windshield and chunks flying off the prop, performance degrading, yet pitot still functioning.

I would like to know more. Not that we intend being in this as a general rule. :eek:

I hooked up my Dynon pitot just to test it out before install, it got too hot to touch in about 30 seconds. YMMV.

I trust it will stay warm enough and keep the ice at bay long enough to complete the 180 turn.

David,
I had the problem when OAT -15 to -20C in IMC. It started gradually and then completly plugged up. I have had it several times. Perhaps it is my instalation. I do not know why you had no problem I only know I did and it was usually when I was up high 15K to 18K. It would open up again a few minutes after I got above freezing. Perhaps I got water in the pitot line past the tube and it froze in the wing. I would check the pitot when I got on the ground and it was getting warm not super hot (but I did not keep my hand on it that long).

Since this thread is primarily about our Heated AOA/Pitot Probe, I wanted to let you guys know that we have a big update on this issue, including a replacement program for any of you that currently have our Heated AOA/Pitot Probe. See this thread for more details.

Michael Schofield
Marketing Manager
Dynon Avionics

I would assume the pitot system is not leaking as it has passed the IFR pitot and static tests twice.

There is no requirement to check the pitot system in a non pressurized aircraft, just because it passed the required 91.411 tests doesn't mean anything in regards to the pitot system integrity.