rainsux

Well Known Member
I opt'd to buy:install the FreeFlight RANGR now, rather than wait. Why?

- Promotional pricing good thru Dec 31st saves me a bit more than $1,500.
- My XM invoice can be ignored. IIRC; it was ~$535 for the next year.
- I prefer to avoid-the-rush that will burden avionics shops as the Dec 31, 2019 deadline approaches.
- I am skeptical that any "new" solutions will offer compelling savings over what I am spending.

Cost? $6,093 installed - for the UAT In:Out solution, including a WAAS GPS receiver, GPS antenna, UAT antenna, coax, control head and WiFi/Bluetooth interface. It was a firm, fixed-price quote from a shop that had no experience with the unit. The combo requires two CB's. I was able to harvest two existing CB's for the RANGR XVR and WiFi interface.

I had other quotes:

- Not firm @ $6,700 for the identical gear.
- Firm @ $7,000 for the identical gear
- Firm @ $8,700 for the identical gear.
- Firm @ $37k (an unsolicited GTN:GTX "Out-only" quote).
- Firm @ $78k (another unsolicited quote) to rip & replace with a FULL Garmin panel.

While it was apart, we discovered a few other items that required attention:

- Shock mounts for the panel were nearly disintegrated. Replaced.
- With the return of colder temps, the battery failed a load test. Replaced.
- The plastic pitot line ... is brittle to the touch. Replaced.

Feedback from the avionics shop:

- FreeFlight shipped promptly.
- Gear bench-checked okay.
- Straight forward installation.
- FreeFlight was responsive to questions.
- Configuration was straight forward and required only one call to FreeFlight support re: WiFi/Bluetooth config.
- Working with the shop's iPad running ADS-B View.

I use/tested:

- Nexus 7, "2014" (Gen 2) tablet w/32GB RAM & Android 4.4.2 (Std release, not-Root'd)
- OnePlus One phablet w/64GB RAM & Android/CyanogenMod 4.4.4 (Std release, not-Root'd)

Sequence:

- Disable Nexus 7 internal GPS (Avare will be pulling it's WAAS position from the RANGR)
- Connect to the RANGR's WiFi network
- Start/launch: Avare appl
- Goto: Android Home screen
- Start/launch Avare's I/O appl
- Change the default port from 4xxxx to 4000
- You should begin to see the RANGR streaming raw telemetry
- Goto: The list of running appls, select Avare
- The map should show your plane:loc in whichever map you've selected.

From the map: Select the options icon in the lower-left. It's the button with the four horizontal lines, just above the "Map" button.

> Preferences
>> GPS
>>> Warn if GPS Disabled
>>> GPS Position Source
>>>> Avare I/O Module Only

Return to:

> Preferences
>> Weather
>>> Use ADSB Weather

Return to:

> Preferences
>> Display
>>> Show ADSB Traffic

These config selections seem to be something you only need to set once. I do not yet know if the settings will remain whenever Avare updates are installed.

Foreflight is apparently: Coming Soon

The Garmin 396 w/XM will be listed on eBay once I get a bit more confidence in this arrangement.

I've installed this same Freeflight unit in both RV's and certified aircraft for about the same $6000 cost including installation. Everyone has been very happy with the system. Considering this unit has a certified GPS included, this is a very cost effective ADS-B install for many folks.

I can also offer this unit at a very competive price to experimental builders if you want to install it yourself (dealer install req'd on certified aircraft).

I may also considering doing a "group buy" for VAF members while the special is still available (thru the end of the year) if there was enough interest.

http://www.expaircraft.com/freeflight.htm

Last edited: