rv9aviator

Well Known Member
I have a lead on a 150 HP 0-320?? out of a 1971 Piper Cherokee 140. I don't more information than that right now. Can someone tell me what series engine it would probably be? I know it is a wide deck and the carb is vertical but am wondering if it would be a Dynafocal 1 or 2. Is this a good candidate for my RV-9A?

Thanks for the advice!

Added: I just realized I probably should have posted this in the engine section.

Last edited:
Should be E3D with Dynafocal 1.

Normally this would be an E3D. Great choice for the -9. Should be dynafocal 1. Dynafocal 2 was mostly used on the IO-320 used in the Twin Comanche. The angle was different on that engine because the long prop extension moved the CG farther forward.

Thanks Mel. Sounds like I found the right series engine for my plane. Now to find out what condition the engine is in and if it's priced accordingly. Here I go!:)

My -6 has been flying a long time on an E3D. 3495 TT/676 SMOH. 2819 hrs. to first major. Even at major, all parts met serviceable specs.

Might also be an O-320-E2A, which is even better, because the E2A can go constant speed with the addition of a prop gov. drive and plumbing. The E3D is only a fixed pitch engine. Most of the PA-28-140's were E2A's and most of the PA-28-151's were E3D's. If memory serves me well, the last couple of years of 140?s were E3D's but before that, they were all E2A's.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Went and looked at the engine today and it is an E3D engine, factory Reman with around 300 hours on it. It and the plane it was in went through a tree so it is a prop strike engine. Looks like for sure a new crank and probably will have the cases remachined. We are going to tear the engine down soon and see what else will have to be replaced. The carb is fine which is good and nothing else looks broken at first glance. The A&P that has the engine is a friend of mine and told me the price will be based on the what parts have to be bought. He will be more than fair as I have dealt with him in the past. The engine came out of a plane another friend of mine crashed and the engine was perfect before the crash.