MacPara

Well Known Member
On page 35-04 step 4 and 5 Van's wants us to "lightly apply pipe thread sealant on the fittings" and connect them. However, the fittings they are talking about are flared tubing connections and they refer to the caliper brake lines.
I am confused by this as you're just supposed to lightly oil the mating surfaces with a light oil like Boelube but not use pipe thread sealant.
What am I missing here?

Flair nut or adapter?

Is it possible the reference is to the pipe threaded side of the adapter that goes into the brake caliper, so that the flair can attach to it??

My 2 cents

I do not have the plans to review but I believe the reference is to sealant on the pipe thread part of the fitting only. My experience was with my brake system install all the pipe thread part received sealant and only one gave me trouble with leaking. It was one of the 45 degree fitting which needed to end pointing an approximate location to accept the flared tube and fitting. What I learned was the sealant was also a lubricant in order to allow the pipe thread to tighten down, end-up where it was needed, and help seal the joint.

I hope this makes sense on where and how the thread sealant is used.

I found where the flare mates on the fitting that no sealant is prequired. I use a small ammount of sealant smeared arround the back of the flare so when the nust is being tightend it allows it a small ammount of give as opposed to gripping the aluminium.

Paul

Hey Paul the sealant on the back is a great idea. I can see how this could be benefical to those mating surfaces.

You are worrying about the wrong end of the fitting

Thorsten,
Mike is correct. Sealant is only used on the pipe thread portion of AN816, AN822 & AN824 fittings. Sealant on the other [flare] end accomplishes nothing, as the seal is made at the flare, not the threads. Only pipe threads [NPT] seal at the threads. The above mentioned fittings are flare on one end and NPT on the other.
Charlie