s_tones

Well Known Member
I have a Tee (an826-6) that tightens via 3/8" tapered pipe thread into the gascolator.
The upright leg of the Tee must be vertical to mate with fuel pump.
Unfortunately the pipe thread goes from loose to fully tight in an arc of about 90 degrees which does not happen to bring the Tee vertical as needed.
There is no room for an adapter.

Is there any way to deal with this that I am not seeing?

Teflon tape would do it but I do not want to use it for the usual reason (it leaves debris in the threads)

Any comments appreciated.

Steve

Pipe thread

You can chase the thread with a tap to get your tee to index where you need too.
Tom

Can you explain how this would be done?
I am guessing you would be widening the female threads somewhat by driving the tap onto the female threads a bit?

Thanks

Steve

Be very careful with Aluminum

Steve you should try another 3/8 " nipple in the gascolator to make sure what tread wasn't cut deep enough. If the second nipple tightens the same as the Tee then the gascolator female port wasn't cut deep enough. If not then the Tee is faulty. Ideally about 2 & 1/2 turns by hand should be able to be made before things start to get tight. If you do need to open it up a bit, make sure you have a nice sharp (new) tap and be sure to use a Aluminum lubricant. Aluminum threads gall very easliy and things can go south very fast. Take it in small steps and totally remove the tap and clean it at every step. Even a very small chip of aluminum stuck in the tap will cause trouble and tear up the threads. Probably the best thing to do would be to practice on a old fitting or drill and tap some news holes in a piece of solid stock to get the feel of it.

In case you have an Andair gascolator, then you can 'clock' the fitting around without compromising the tapered pipe fitting. Its in the instructions.

Thanks to all.
It is not so much a matter of depth since i can screw in 5-6 threads at least. Just that it tightens at wrong angle. I have a new Tee on order and will try the fit. If no better may send them both to manufacturer. Maybe they will mate them

Proper pipe threads should have one full turn after snug for clocking.

Why you should send Doug a donation

A good example of the VAF being the most important tool in your box.:D
The title line should have said "Why you ALL should send Doug a donation".
At least a little gas money for Flash.

Last edited: