Ted Farmin

Well Known Member
New and better than fuel lube or teflon types. It is EZturn by united. Check on Aircraftspruce web for size and price and part no.
Ted

Coincidence. I'm doing my fuel fittings on my tank now. On the compression fittings, is there any point to (or prohibition against) using a thread sealant of some sort? I know that teflon tape is generally a no-no, but is some other type of thread sealant recommended on fuel line fittings? Van's instructions say nothing in this regard.

Steve

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
Coincidence. I'm doing my fuel fittings on my tank now. On the compression fittings, is there any point to (or prohibition against) using a thread sealant of some sort? I know that teflon tape is generally a no-no, but is some other type of thread sealant recommended on fuel line fittings? Van's instructions say nothing in this regard.

Steve
Thread sealants are for pipe threads ONLY! All the metal to metal seals should be pristine.
You don't want to temporarily hide a potential leak path by using a thread sealant on them.:eek:

-mike

There is some great stuff called FUELUBE.

Per the directions, it is "a lubricant, sealant and anti-seize component for fuel and oil line valves, threads and gaskets."

It can sometimes be difficult to obtain, but it works great for putting on gaskets, and for any oil/fuel line fittings, buth on the threads and on the mating faces. (Use a very thin coat on mating faces, such as flare fittings.)
You would be amazed how it helps on all of these fittings. I have been using it for years, as have many of my friends.

New is sometimes better, but I know this stuff works.

Fuellube vs EZ-turn

There is some great stuff called FUELUBE.

Per the directions, it is "a lubricant, sealant and anti-seize component for fuel and oil line valves, threads and gaskets."

It can sometimes be difficult to obtain, but it works great for putting on gaskets, and for any oil/fuel line fittings, buth on the threads and on the mating faces. (Use a very thin coat on mating faces, such as flare fittings.)
You would be amazed how it helps on all of these fittings. I have been using it for years, as have many of my friends.

New is sometimes better, but I know this stuff works.

according to the spruce catalog, they're the same thing (or at least that's how i read the following:)

09-00180 EZ TURN ( FUELUBE ) 1 LB CAN $21.600 Info
EZ Turn is a specialty lubricant/sealant used for fuel and oil line valves & is resistant to high temps. Especially effective where high octane fuels and aromatics are present. EZ Turn is also extremely efficient as a gasket paste & anti- seize agent. EZ Turn will not gum, crack or dry out. Each shipment is independently tested. Excellent for tapered plug valves, aircraft engine manufacturing, and marine applications. EZ Turn is the functional equivalent of fuel lube. 1 Lb. can

john

Old Thread Revival

I know this is a really old thread but it is on my topic of the moment, ez-turn.

I'm planning on using it for all fuel and oil pipe threads.

- Is it also OK for brake line pipe threads?

- How about plastic pipe threads (pitot/static)?

I'm assuming it is but want to check. Thanks in advance,

George

Hooray!

Thanks!

Anything I can do to minimize the variety of goops/goos/balms/unguents/oils/etc. the better. I like multi-taskers.

George

I heard that you should use Bakerseal for brake lines...so that's what I use. I initially was going to use EZ-Turn, but I think I read somewhere that the Teflon paste (Bakerseal) is better.

Try EZ TURN on your fuel cap "O" ring. The cap will lift off and go back on with ease.

Except in the winter!!:eek: When OAT's are around 15F or colder, it is all but impossible to get the caps off without tools. There is another thread on this very topic.

Back to this thread, to be clear, flared types of fittings should have no compound. Pipe threads are a different thing. There have been numerous reports of leaks when using EZTurn on things like oil pressure fittings into the crankcase or wherever. A better compound is some sort of paste with TFE or PTFE.

Those who build engines for a living should chime in here.

What the manuals say...

Except in the winter!!:eek: When OAT's are around 15F or colder, it is all but impossible to get the caps off without tools. There is another thread on this very topic.

Back to this thread, to be clear, flared types of fittings should have no compound. Pipe threads are a different thing. There have been numerous reports of leaks when using EZTurn on things like oil pressure fittings into the crankcase or wherever. A better compound is some sort of paste with TFE or PTFE.

The Lycoming manual does not mention anything....:(

But the later (and better) Superior Vantage engine manual give differing compounds for different locations. Each application is specifically called out in the manual.

In general, FueLube is called out for rubber oil seals (such as push rod tube seals), and TiteSeal for pipe threads.

The manual is here...

http://www.superiorairparts.com/Docs/Vantage/SVOHM01.pdf

I don't think TiteSeal is a teflon product, but the can is not very specific...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/titesealit.php

...more chemicals to stock....:)

gil A

Teflon paste

I noted that all of the pipe fittings on the Air Flow Performance electric fuel boost pump that I received for my injected IO360 had teflon paste (NOT TAPE) on them. I trust AFP know what they're doing.

Whatever you're using....don't put it on the threads of the female fitting or the first 2 or 3 threads of the male fitting. Then it cannot be exposed to the fuel.