cjensen

Well Known Member
Do I need to pipe tape the threads on the AN fittings for my interior brake lines?

10-22-07-008w.jpg

10-22-07-011w.jpg

TIA...

Paste

Chad,
I would use Teflon based paste on all the pipe thread fittings, not on flared fittings. I don't see either tape or paste where your tee goes through the firewall into the reservoir. I used to use tape but pieces can break off and get in fuel/oil lines, etc, so now it's paste.

Regards,

Do not use anything on the flare fittings. It's the flare that seals, not the threads. Use a thread sealant on the pipe threads.

Do I need to pipe tape the threads on the AN fittings for my interior brake lines?

10-22-07-008w.jpg

10-22-07-011w.jpg

TIA...

Chad,
AN 37? fittings were specifically designed to eliminate the need for sealants. If you have a problem, (that is a damaged fitting), Earls sells a specific conical repair washer. You shouldn't need, or use for that matter, a sealant on any of those fittings. I have done lots of break systems and never had the slightest trouble.
Bill Jepson

Chad-
I understand that Bakerseal is a good, teflon-based sealant for the NPT threads. It is what I used. As above, only the NPT threads use it, not the flared fittings. As always, no teflon tape.

Thanks guys! I'll grab some sealant from work, and put some on the NPT threads. There is nothing on them right now, they are just fitted.

Questionable

Questionable......

The flaired fitting does not need anything.....

The pipe thread however, well that's another story. Just MAKE SURE the manufacturer says that it is intended for a particular use. I have used the paste on fuel fittings and they leaked. Actually the paste broke down.

I put Teflon paste, Teflon tape, some brown plumbing stuff a plumber said was great, and rtv in a flat pan and filled it with 100LL. The Teflon tape was the only thing that held up for a day.....the rtv was good, the others ran.