szicree

Well Known Member
I've got a few pipe plug questions. First, my filtered air box top plate has to have a relief cut into it to clear the bowl drain area on my carb. The instructions say to replace the stock drain plug with an allen head type, I assume to keep the relief hole as small as possible. Is there a preferred material? Is stainless ok? When I screw the thing in, it still sticks out quite far, which I think defeats the purpose of using it in the first place. What's the fix for this? Second, what would be the preferred material for the pipe plugs that fill the primer holes in the heads?

szicree said:
I've got a few pipe plug questions. First, my filtered air box top plate has to have a relief cut into it to clear the bowl drain area on my carb. The instructions say to replace the stock drain plug with an allen head type, I assume to keep the relief hole as small as possible. Is there a preferred material? Is stainless ok? When I screw the thing in, it still sticks out quite far, which I think defeats the purpose of using it in the first place. What's the fix for this? Second, what would be the preferred material for the pipe plugs that fill the primer holes in the heads?
The allen head pipe thread plug in the bottom of my card is FLUSH when installed. May be able to chase the threads with a tap but more than likely it will bottom out before it does any good. I think my plug is Alunimum. Aluminum plug in the aluminum carb body. I had the plug so did not have to buy one. If I had to buy one, I would tend to use the LIGHEST material that will do the job. If weight was the same, I would tend to use the least expensive.

My new Superior cylinders came with plugs where fuel injection goes but that was 10-years and 2,050 hours ago. I would tend to use what I say in the paragraph above. There is NO pressure to speak of in the intake ports. The head is aluminum so aluminum should work here also.

I do not have my books at home to look this up so someone may have DOCUMENTATION to say the opposite of what I am saying here. If I did not have any DOCUMENTATION to use something other than aluminum in this application, I would use aluminum.

I would use aluminum...no reason to mix dissimilar metals. Plus the will have the same expansion/contraction with heat as the item its screwed into...probaly not a factor, but it couldnt hurt. Be sure to seal all tapered pipe threads with a non-hardening sealent like EZ turn, Loctite PST, etc.