Bob Martin

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,
I'm updating my Dynon D10 to the 10A and getting ready for the HSI function.
I need to input the RS232 line from my gps (gx55) but can't seem to find the pin out info. This is the apollo line that went to garmin. The GX55 is the one that is a direct slide in replacement for their series of Lorans. I'm thinking that is why I don't have pin out paperwork, as this is what I did.
Garmin has the quick guides and user guides as downloads on their site but no installation guides. I tried Mike Stewart's site but couldn't get the link to work. I did find it available for purchase for 12.00 from ESSO, but I was hoping that I might find somebody with a file or a link to a file to get it cheaper and quicker.

Does anybody have a pdf file of the installation manual for the GX55?
or the GX65 etc that might pertain to all the models in that series.
Thanks in advance,

Manual

Bob ... sent you a PDF file of a manual that covers the GX50, GX60 and GX65 installation via regular e-mail.

It's 2.7Mb. me know that it arrived...

The pin functions should be OK, but IIRC the GX55 has a different pinout so that it was a direct plug-in replacement for the older Apollo Loran units.

gil in Tucson

I got it, but 50 not 55

az_gila said:
Bob ... sent you a PDF file of a manual that covers the GX50, GX60 and GX65 installation via regular e-mail.

The pin functions should be OK, but IIRC the GX55 has a different pinout so that it was a direct plug-in replacement for the older Apollo Loran units.

gil in Tucson
Gil, Thanks, I did get it!
But like you said, the file is for the 50 no the 55 and there MAY be a difference, after all, fitting into the existing tray for the loran, may have made the pin out layout different.
But again, thanks Gil.
So I'm still looking..........

Apollo GX55 RS232 Pin out

Hi Bob

From my Apollo Installation Manuaul for the GX55

TxD is pin 6
RxD is pin 7
Gnd is pin 8

Hope this helps

Barry RV6A F-PRVM

Setup

Bob Martin said:
Gil, Thanks, I did get it!
But like you said, the file is for the 50 no the 55 and there MAY be a difference, after all, fitting into the existing tray for the loran, may have made the pin out layout different.
But again, thanks Gil.
So I'm still looking..........
Bob... you might still need that manual to set up data on the serial line....

gil A

GX60 install manual assistance please

Gil or Bob (or anybody else),
Could one of you forward the GX60 install manual to me at your first opportunity? I am heading out on the road for a few days (with plans to work on panel CAD layout while in the hotel/jet) and I forgot my hardcopy that is back in the shop with my radio. I have already searched for it on www. but all I can find is user manuals.
I am simply looking for the physical dimensions, so I can add it to my CAD layout.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

gil in Tucson

GX60 drawing ssent

Bill, I sent you a .png scan of page 30 of the GX60 install manual, which shows the dimensions. Good luck with your install.

--Paul

Sent...

Gil or Bob (or anybody else),
Could one of you forward the GX60 install manual to me at your first opportunity? I am heading out on the road for a few days (with plans to work on panel CAD layout while in the hotel/jet) and I forgot my hardcopy that is back in the shop with my radio. I have already searched for it on www. but all I can find is user manuals.
I am simply looking for the physical dimensions, so I can add it to my CAD layout.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

...as requested... gil A

Bob or anyone,

For a long time the GX55 would not work with the Dynon. The last words on the problem I could find on their forum is "working on it".

Does the GX55 now work with Dynon?

Buehler?, Anyone? ...

yes

Bob or anyone,

For a long time the GX55 would not work with the Dynon. The last words on the problem I could find on their forum is "working on it".

Does the GX55 now work with Dynon?

Buehler?, Anyone? ...

Yes, the GX55 does work with the Dynon.
It doesn't give you "all" the little bells and whistles a newer GPS does, but it does work and drive the HSI...
It was awhile ago that I installed it and I also connected the 296 to the dynon as well with a switch to feed the RS232 info from either source.
Seems to me things like the "clock" on the dynon didn't work, etc.
But the basic functions do work.
As far as "now work"....I'm not aware of any updates regarding this subject.
For me, it has always worked with limited features.
If you want more details.......I can check each source this weekend and make a list of differences for you??
Good Luck

Last edited: