mark manda

Well Known Member
Yesterday a visiting couple from FL and their grandson stopped by the shop to see our project. My dad said, "Jump in Zack." Ever seen an eleven yr old get in a plane? Less than 2 secs. -- for our second engine run.

Later, I took him for ride in our C-182. In the run-up area he asked when he could fly. I said I'd make the take-off and then he could have it. And I heard the grandmother in back catch her breath. :) She had never flown in a light GA before, even though granddad next to her is retired United Airlines.

Anyway fun flight and it made me think of this post sent to me awhile ago. enjoy.

I want to be a pilot
A fifth grader

I want to be a pilot when I grow up because it's fun and easy to do. Pilots don't need much school, they just have to learn numbers so they can read instruments. I guess they should be able to read maps so they can find their way if they get lost. Pilots should be brave so they won't get scared if it's foggy and they can't see or if a wing or motor falls off they should stay calm so they'll know what to do. Pilots have to have good eyes so they can see through clouds and they can't be afraid of lightning or thunder because they are closer to them than we are. The salary pilots make is another thing I like. They make more money than they can spend. This is because most people think airplane flying is dangerous except pilots don't because they know how easy it is. There isn't much I don't like, except girls like pilots and all the stewardesses want to marry them and they always have to chase them away so they won't bother them. I hope I don't get airsick because if I do I couldn't be a pilot and would have to go to work.

Mark,

Thanks for a great post. The letter from the 5th grader was halarious. I let my 4th grade son read it and he even had a good laugh.