gerrydwhite

I'm New Here
I'm about ready to have my RV9A inspected. Talking with the DAR he mentioned that I should have a handbook on the airplane and the engine. I don't have a handbook on either. Does anyone have one that I can copy?

I Don't Believe a POH is "Required"...

but it's not a bad idea, and much of the performance info in it should come after your Phase I. You'll need to do a weight and balance before the DAR and that is required. Perhaps the DAR is referring to maintenance logs. If you'd like to look at a 9A POH, I can send you a copy of mine - just remember that the performance and weight figures are for N323TP and not your aircraft (mine is an O320-D1A, fixed pitch). Interestingly, there's a 9A POH in the archives of this site. If you look closely, it appears to be a cut and paste from another aircraft - i.e., performance data is from a constant speed prop and the aircraft the book is tied to is a fixed pitch.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Take your pick: http://www.vansairforce.net/poh.htm

A little editing and you are good to go.

(I just sent Doug a copy of my Condition Inspection Check List for him to post along with the POH's. Grab a copy of that, once it is up, you will need it in a year.)

Last edited:
IIRC the NTSB made a number of recommendations to FAA regarding experimental aircraft operations, and one of them had to do with requiring a POH. I think the thrust of the recommendation was directed more toward second owners who didn't have the knowledge of the builder of how things were supposed to work with that aircraft.

It doesn't surprise me that this requirement is percolating into inspections. However, I don't see anything in Order 8130-2 that requires a POH at the time of inspection. In fact, the requirement is circular - how do you have a POH before the aircraft has been flight tested?

In any event, no point in applying reason - the path of least resistance is to cut and paste one from another and mark it as a draft subject to change blah blah.

Without stepping on the toes of some of our DARs, I just have to wonder about this.

Dan

Handbook and/or Logbook?

Congrats on getting to this stage.

My DAR asked if I had a handbook done. I had a draft (marked accordingly) pending 40hr test flights. It seemed more of an interest than a requirement.

Of more interest were the airframe and engine Logbooks, properly endorsed including my pitot/static test results, which are a requirement.

Good Luck!

Of more interest were the airframe and engine Logbooks, properly endorsed including my pitot/static test results, which are a requirement.

Good Luck!
This brings up a good question I had - I'm building my aircraft in my hangar on a private strip - not a public airport. I'm sure I'm not the first to have done this - how do I go about getting the pitot/static and transponder tested before first flight?

This brings up a good question I had - I'm building my aircraft in my hangar on a private strip - not a public airport. I'm sure I'm not the first to have done this - how do I go about getting the pitot/static and transponder tested before first flight?

You find someone who will travel to your plane and do the tests in your hangar. I had to do this before my first flight.

Keep in mind, the reason I had to do this before my first flight was because I was under the Class B shelf of CLT. Had I been outside of that, I could have waited until I could have flown it to some place to have it tested.

I may be wrong in what I said above, but that is my understanding.

Also, FWIW, they Dynon D100 I had and the SkyView I replaced it with were both right on.

Like Bill said, if you are not in a "mode C veil" you shouldn't have to have it for the first flight.
And many repair stations will come to you to do it.
If all else fails, you can probably get a waiver from ATC for a flight to a repair station.
The transponder certification is a flight requirement, not an aircraft certification requirement.

The transponder certification is a flight requirement, not an aircraft certification requirement.

Not much of a distinction, if flight of the aircraft is the intent.

Guess I'll be looking for someone to travel to me with equipment. I'm well outside the nearest Mode C veil.

Not much of a distinction, if flight of the aircraft is the intent.
Guess I'll be looking for someone to travel to me with equipment. I'm well outside the nearest Mode C veil.

My point was that it is not an aircraft certification requirement, so you won't have to put off your inspection just because the transponder guy hasn't showed up yet.

Did pitot/static myself

All DARs seem to be different ... so YMMV. :rolleyes:

My DAR wanted a 'canned' statement on pitot/static in the logbook. I'd done pitot test to ensure no leaks.

He showed me how to do the static test: tape over one port, press a coiled rubber hose over other port, then let it unfurl to draw vacuum on static port and observe Altimeter climb about 1000'. Hold and time. Observe change in altimeter over one minute.

Logbook statement: "I certify this aircraft pitot/static system was tested at X,XXX feet and leakage was less than XX feet over 60 seconds."

Good luck!