Geico266

Well Known Member
The standard FAA pilot and passenger weight is 170 pounds, I think. Somewhere, I thought I read that the standard weight was being raised to 190 pounds to more reflect the largeness of our current population?

Does anyone else remember this? Or an I having an almost senior moment? :confused:

Weights

The standard FAA pilot and passenger weight is 170 pounds, I think. Somewhere, I thought I read that the standard weight was being raised to 190 pounds to more reflect the largeness of our current population?

Does anyone else remember this? Or an I having an almost senior moment? :confused:

Since 1995, most airlines have assumed a weight of 180 pounds per adult in summer and 185 pounds in winter; checked bags are assumed to weigh 25 pounds each. Note that I said "most". During my tenure we had to do audits every so often and adjust as needed.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Larry,

Why are you inquiring about "standard" weights for weight and balance? They are not applicable to our RV operations, unless the RV-13 turns out to be an airliner!

George
Std. weight, PLUS!

Larry,

Why are you inquiring about "standard" weights for weight and balance? They are not applicable to our RV operations, unless the RV-13 turns out to be an airliner!

George
Std. weight, PLUS!

Oh contrair! After 4 months of reviewing my DAR's information package the local Lincoln FSDO rejected my w&b for the -12 because I used 190 pounds per the sample W&B in the RV-12 POH. "They" want it recalculated to 170 pounds.

Mel?

(Like Commissioner Gordon, Geico266 turns on the "Melman" search lite (like the Batman search lite only it says VAF ;)) and points it toward Texas, and hits the red button for "Emergency Use Only". Only time will tell if the caped crusader will respond to the call for help one more time. Experimental aviation hangs in the balance.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh contrair! After 4 months of reviewing my DAR's information package the local Lincoln FSDO rejected my w&b for the -12 because I used 190 pounds per the sample W&B in the RV-12 POH. "They" want it recalculated to 170 pounds.
Mel?

The FAA standard is 170 lbs. and the FSDO has every right to ask for "standards" to be used. But I usually like to see a sample loading as the aircraft is to be flown, especially for flight testing. This will usually entail a "non-standard" pilot weight.

The FAA standard is 170 lbs. and the FSDO has every right to ask for "standards" to be used. But I usually like to see a sample loading as the aircraft is to be flown, especially for flight testing. This will usually entail a "non-standard" pilot weight.

Okay, but it took him 4 months to figure this out? :mad: I think I'm dealing with a "Non standard" FSDO. ;)

Thanks Melman!