maus92

Well Known Member
A NTSB report on a PT-22 crash early this year found that the aircraft's shoulder harness retrofit contributed to the pilot's injuries. The attach points of the shoulder straps were lower than the level of his shoulders when seated, which apparently compresses your spine/pelvis when your body is restrained during a sudden deceleration. I have a similar geometry when I am seated in my RV-8. I noticed that some RVs have a tall roll bar that supports the pilot seat - was that the "stock" design at some point? A taller roll bar could allow for the attach points to be moved higher / above shoulder level, and mitigate any deceleration injuries. Could this earlier design be retrofitted, or maybe the existing low bar that supports the pilot's seat be extended by welding an extension?

Good question.

There is only the stock bar that I know of from Van's for the RV-8 The others you speak of are made by the builder of that aircraft or it's owner. Some like the idea of a little more roll-over protection. The RV-4 had a taller bar in the middle. The position of the safety belt and the angle at witch it retains your body is an individual adjustment as people are all different sizes. Your point is well taken and a good one for us all to look into when installing our belts and fitting them to each of us in your manufactured aircraft. Hope this helps. Yours as always, R.E.A. III #80888