Mhesser

attempted my first radio change from an old KLX 135a to a Garmin GTR 200 as a second comm. I have a GNS430W and a PMA4000 audio panel.
I think I have something wired incorrectly with the PTT wiring.
-shortly after power up the GTR has a message "Pilot PTT Key Stuck" and will not transmit. I have checked continuity on all the wires Where have I gone wrong I am assuming its super simple.

Attachments

• pinout.png
    pinout.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 87
  • GTR200 wiring.jpg
    GTR200 wiring.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 82
  • PMA 4000 wiring.jpg
    PMA 4000 wiring.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
As you say, it is probably something simple. Something is constantly grounding pin 35 on the GTR 200.

I would start by removing the wire on GTR 200 pin 35 (Pilot PTT). With nothing connected to this pin, the "stuck Pilot PTT" error should clear.

Next is to check that removed wire and make sure it is 1) not shorted to ground and 2) only connected to COM2 PTT on your audio panel.

Also make sure that the GTR 200 internal intercom is disabled since this is a dual COM installation with an audio panel.

Steve

Same same

I had same problem, I had mis wired the connector by 1 pin.

I took pictures of all my connectors prior to installing backshell and in review, found it right away. One mistake out of 650, somI am not complaining.

Something is constantly grounding pin 35 on the GTR 200.

I would start by removing the wire on GTR 200 pin 35 (Pilot PTT). With nothing connected to this pin, the "stuck Pilot PTT" error should clear.

Next is to check that removed wire and make sure it is 1) not shorted to ground and 2) only connected to COM2 PTT on your audio panel.

Steve

I'm guessing the easiest solution will be to abandon the current wiring and run a new wire from Pin 35 on the GTR 200 to Pin 24 (com 2 PTT) on the PMA4000 its only a few inches away and easier than chasing wires in the rats nest from original build.

THANKS its fixed

Thanks LongEZ for the tips,
it ended up being wired correctly but there was a short to ground when the connector and wire bundle were twisted 180 deg to install in the tray, after too much time troubleshooting ( I should have followed my gut from previous post) I just ran a new wire for the PTT connection and eliminated the issue.
Wow its never what you think at first....

Thanks LongEZ for the tips,
it ended up being wired correctly but there was a short to ground when the connector and wire bundle were twisted 180 deg to install in the tray, after too much time troubleshooting ( I should have followed my gut from previous post) I just ran a new wire for the PTT connection and eliminated the issue.
Wow its never what you think at first....

You are welcome. Enjoy your new GTR 200! There is no better COM radio.

If you haven't done so already, make sure to download the latest software and install it using a micro SD card. A 4Gbyte SD card is more than large enough.

Steve