Echo Tango

Well Known Member
Fiancee and I are both in ATC and have gotten offers to transfer to the MSP TRACON, which is located at the airport, in about 20 months.

Are there any airparks within commuting distance? Places close to hangar space? I've been saving up for an RV-10 for a few years and have enough to get started, just waiting on the move and a place to build. :D

I can't find much online and it seems KMSP is NOT GA friendly. I guess one of the managers there used to have a Mooney he would commute with sometimes, and they kindly told him to stop :(

Welcome to the great frozen north - you'll love it here....especially if summer happens to fall on a Friday! Since you'll be at MSP for wirk, you'll want to buy a house "south of the river". Depending on what you consider a good or bad commute, there is a wonderful airpark about 40 minutes south of MSP (skyharbor) filled with lots of RV guys, airline pilots, ATC folks, and even a SteinAir employee as well as many friends. Incidentally, it's where the Twin Cities RVer's have their yearly BBQ. I also happen to know there are several decent houses for sale there (look on some of the real etate websites to see).

Flying into MSP with an RV is possible, but not advisable. A better airport if you don't live at Sky Harbor / Webster then KLVN is a very nice small airport with lots of RV's on it.....and its close to your favorite avionics shop!:)

Feel free to call or email us anytime...we even know some good local realtors.

Cheers,
Stein

I agree with Stein. There is a HUGE RV following in the Twin Cities. Go to http://www.mnwing.org and you will be able to connect with all of us. There are several great GA airports in the area that are within shooting distance of MSP. My favorite is KANE (there are several RV's on the field as well as a couple of great FBO's. KMIC is also close to KMSP. I am not as familiar with that airport but I do know a great RV'r that bases there. Tom Berge is a Van's endorsed RV transition pilot trainer and he keeps his bird there. http://rvtransition.com
KSTP is also a good one. ATC is fabulous to work with there but I think all ground op's tend to cater to the big boys and less to us tin can fliers.
There is an airpark in Lino Lakes, MN but it is a grass strip and I don't know about winter ops. I do know there is an RV-10 pilot living on the field. I'd be happy to try and hook you up with him. Lino is about 25 minutes by car to KMSP.
Good luck with your transition. If you have any questions please PM me and I'll be happy to help anyway I can.

Last edited:
I have a couple friends at Sky Harbor. Seems like a great place and it was where I took my first RV ride years ago.

Sky Harbor is a 2800' grass runway. It is plowed all winter but can get a little rough as the ground is frozen. There are about 40 homes there and current count is 11 RV's. The identifier is 1MN8.

Thank you for all of the responses. Looking at sky harbor for now. Any others? Perhaps with open hangar space and homebuilder friendly?