ppilotmike

Well Known Member
Firstly, I'd like to apologize. This post does not have pictures of us flying our RV-10 to Portland. That's because I haven't built it yet.
We're currently making preparations in our 3-car garage, I mean "aircraft manufacturing facility", and decided to take a weekend off to go and visit the Vans Factory to see what it's all about. I must say, we had a blast and I would highly recommend to any builder or lurker: "Make the Pilgrimage." Especially if you can do it in your own RV!

Friday, Feb. 26, 2010 - IMC on the only day I could go for a demo. DARN!
0210%20Portland%20Trip_116.JPG

Inside the warehouse were thousands of pieces. And you thought YOU had a hard time doing inventory..
0210%20Portland%20Trip_018.JPG

The fabrication side of the plant, where ribs and skins are born.
0210%20Portland%20Trip_047.JPG

Aneta and I in front of someone else's RV-10 quickbuild fuse. I hope mine looks this nice when it's done.
0210%20Portland%20Trip_038.JPG

The machines they use to punch metal are hypnotizing to watch, and so fast.
0210%20Portland%20Trip_058.JPG

And finally we are taken back to the Demo Hangar. RV-7A anyone?
0210%20Portland%20Trip_059.JPG

The RV-9A. Looking good too.
0210%20Portland%20Trip_066.JPG

I tried on the 8A (lil' fighter) and it fit quite nicely.
0210%20Portland%20Trip_114.JPG

At last, the object of our affection. The RV-10 in the "flesh."
0210%20Portland%20Trip_072.JPG

The only thing better than making plane noises, is making plane noises with your spouse in the cockpit of the real thing! Much roomier than I imagined. This is a BIG airplane.
0210%20Portland%20Trip_089.JPG

After visiting Vans, we are both excited to get started. This is a good thing, considering the investment of time and money that awaits us. The next day we made a trip to the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum. After all, you can't come all the way to Portland and not see the H-4 Flying Boat (aka Spruce Goose). It's so immense, that it boggles the mind. I must have stood there looking at the vertical stabilizer for at least 5 minutes, staring.

We also got to see the SR-71 Blackbird (my favorite) and X-15 Rocket Plane sitting next to each other, plus many other great planes(Pictures in next post below). If you go.. Remember to ask about getting a private tour. With an additional donation you can actually sit in Mr. Hughes' seat and fidget with the controls!

The city of Portland was nice too. We had a great time along the waterfront and hope to go back someday soon. Next time, I'd love to arrive at the Vans Fly-In, sporting a brand new RV-10! Until then...

Mike & Aneta Rettig
Lakewood, CO
RV-10
Shop Prep / Lurking

Some more pictures from our trip to the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum:

Staggerwing
0210%20Portland%20Trip_141.JPG

Ford Tri-Motor
0210%20Portland%20Trip_142.JPG

Inside of the Ford Tri-Motor (tight!)
0210%20Portland%20Trip_147.JPG

The P-51 Mustang
0210%20Portland%20Trip_163.JPG

The coolest plane ever built! (SR-71 Blackbird)
0210%20Portland%20Trip_260.JPG

The almighty H-4 Flying Boat (aka Spruce Goose). Even the Airbus A380 isn't this big!
0210%20Portland%20Trip_268.JPG

Me at the controls of the H-4! The very same seat that Howard Hughes sat in when he took her off the water! It must have been something to control such an enormous aircraft. Truly he was a man of vision.
0210%20Portland%20Trip_196.JPG

Aneta on the Moon..
0210%20Portland%20Trip_228.JPG

Me attempting to dock in "space" using the simulator (on expert level).
0210%20Portland%20Trip_221.JPG

There's even a winery at the Museum! Apparently, Portland has some great Pinot Noirs. A great way to end our trip.
0210%20Portland%20Trip_267.JPG

Very cool write up!

I saw the Spruce Goose when it was still in Long Beach, CA. It is an impressive bird.

You're right about the wine, Mike. McMinnville is right in the middle of Oregon's wine country. Some of the worlds great Pinot Noir's and many others are grown and produced here. At Vans annual Homecoming, they often have a tour bus to the vineyards for wine tasting and tours. Get that RV done and come back!

Congrats on a great trip. Keep us posted on your progress as you get started.

Thanks Bruce

Thanks Bruce for the words of encouragement. I can't wait to start building. I think about it all the time, especially in the shower in the mornings for some reason. I will definitely plan a trip back to Portland soon. But first, I've got to get started with my 10!

Cool pics Mike, glad to see you made it. Too bad that ol' nasty pacific northwest weather didnt cooperate or you'd really have a BIG smile! :) Hope to meet you at one of the local EAA meetings soon.

I think about it all the time

Just wait til you start building, it will keep you up at night!

Last edited: