Davepar

Well Known Member
In the nosewheel service bulletin FAQ, Vans mentions "newer U-713C wheelpant brackets, which allow the rear section of the pant to be removed without removing the axle bolt." Anybody have a picture of this bracket? I'm wondering if it's worth ordering and using those instead of the older brackets I have. Being able to fill the tire without removing the axle bolt sounds like a plus.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave, that FAQ you listed has it.. Anyways, I still can't believe the old design.... I'd file it under "what were they thinking..." If I had it, I'd be switching.... The new style makes a lot more sense...

You got that right, Radomir. When I switch to the new fork I'm going to change the bracket, too. The FAQ has the drawing. It is now one bracket as opposed to the two bracket setup. The pant will slide on and off horizontally and looks like the axle bolt will easily engage it.

Roberta

axle bolt

The pant will slide on and off horizontally and looks like the axle bolt will easily engage it.

Roberta

Roberta or anyone who has info: It looks like you still have to at least losen the axle bolt to get the fairing to slide off. Is that correct?

Last edited:
No.. you do not need to loosen that bolt.. It's kinda hard to explain, but there are a few washers (regular size and a large area washer) at the main axle bolt.. and the bracket "hooks" around those washers..

Washers?

:eek:
Are you telling me that I'm going to need to place another order for more parts that they did not tell us that we would need?

I order the new fork and new left and right fairing brackets, but I did not hear anything about a different washer stack up.

Can someone let us know what the washer stack up is by part numbers?

I was told that I could use the same stop bracket since I have the leg that only needs to be mod-ed.

The easy way...

Roberta or anyone who has info: It looks like you still have to at least losen the axle bolt to get the fairing to slide off. Is that correct?

.......to make the brackets work and not remove the bolt, is to leave the bracket attached to the fork by the nosewheel bolt. Instead of rivetting the bracket to the wheelpant, you install two nutplates on the bracket. Then you always leave the bracket with the fork. I marked the exact position of the bracket with a fine point marker so that whenever the nosewheel and bracket are removed for a tire change, the bracket goes back in the same spot. I also drilled a 1" hole in the rear wheelpant half to add air. I then painted a white stripe from the rim to the ground on the tire when the valve stem is aligned with the hole.

Regards,

It looks like you could mount it a number of ways.

1. Use the nutplates and remove the pant with screws, leaving the brackets on the fork.

2. Rivet the brackets to the wheel pant. Raise the nosewheel off the ground, remove the front allen bolts, loosen the axle bolt, slide the pant off.

3. Use a longer axle bolt with a few spacers and washers along with method # 2 to allow the bracket to slide off the axle when front allen bolts are removed. This will allow removal while the nosewheel is on the ground and not require loosening of axle bolt.

How you install the pant is limited only by your creativity and skill.

Roberta

I swear that FAQ didn't have the picture when I first looked at it last week. That bracket does look slick. I haven't completed my nosewheel fairing install yet, so I'm going to make the switch. I lucked out and must have gotten one of the first of the new nosewheel forks.

Unfortunately, the picture in the FAQ chops off the call out for the axle bolt which would describe which washers we need to do the slip on/off method.

Thinking back about the washers, you really don't need any additional ones. My thought is to use a spacer just thicker than the bracket material. The washer used to capture the slot in the bracket could be bent out on the aft edge to allow the slot to engage it. The slot might need to be widened to allow the OD of the spacer. You're probably looking at 0.090 to 0.125" at most additional bolt length. I think the bolt will handle that. A wider washer than normal could be used over the slot. We're not talking about a lot of stacked washer to do this. Really all that is needed is the spacer to take up the slack of the bracket with a little sliding room.

I staked my mushrooms on my old fork and will do the same on the new one. A hole for the air filler valve on the tire is also planned.

I will post pics when I do the mod next month.

Roberta

Call outs

Unfortunately, the picture in the FAQ chops off the call out for the axle bolt which would describe which washers we need to do the slip on/off method.

Dave: I got a copy of the drawing from a neighbor building a new 9A. Here is the call outs for the axle bolt

AN6-60A Bolt --AN960-616L washer (inside), AN960-616 washer (middle), 062 25783054 washer (outside). Repeat washer call out on both sides. The outside washer is larger. So it appears that the U-713C wedges between the outside and inside washers allowing it to slide back when removing the rear fairing. The outside washer keeps it in place. Hope this helps, sorry a picture would have been better.

Thanks, Build9A. The bolt on my old fork is also a 60. Adding the proper washers is the trick. I'll have to include those in my order.

Looks like I will be able to close up some holes on the pant. I plan on closing the axle hole and just leave the hole for the allen bolts. That's where I clip my tow bar anyway.

I prefer riveting the bracket to the pant. Seems easier to remove and a cleaner look.

Maybe this mod isn't so bad afterall.

Roberta

Last edited:
It looks like the older wheel axle attach braket can be slotted to allow a similar removal method to the new bracket design. I will have to have a look-see when I remove my pants.

V

Thanks Build9A. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Exactly what I was thinking Roberta. It looks like there's no need for the rather large axle bolt holes any more.

Vern, the new bracket uses the forward bolt to hold it in place. The old brackets are two pieces (for each side). Not sure how you'd secure the aft bracket if you slotted it for the axle bolt.

To borrow from Mastercard:
U-713C-L $14.65
U-713C-R $14.65
AN960-616 (already have plenty)
2 x AN960-616L $0.12
2 x 062 25783054 "grade 8 hardened washer" $0.30
new copy of drawing C1 $??

Being able to inspect the nosewheel without removing the axle bolt: priceless

The new style bracket looks like a winner. I have the Matco Axle hub installed and it has a bolt to keep it from rotating in the fork in line with the axle bolt. Anyone know if this bolt will interfere with the new bracket installation?

Thanks, Larry