szicree

Well Known Member
Anybody got photos of a 4-pipe installation on a RV-4? I'm curious about whether you had to cut the pipes, turndowns or cowl and also your mounting. Thanks.

Last edited:
Exhaust System

Hi Steve
What part of the system do you need pic's of ?
I will go take a few for you
Call 1-775-885-0979 if you want to talk

Dayton,

I just got through looking at your builder's log pics. I'm starting the baffles tomorrow and your photos have me feeling better about it. I am hoping to see how the heck the mounts for the exhaust are supposed to work. Any photos would be much appreciated.

I like your idea of building up the front of the cowl with foam. I've got the same situation on mine and it's sure nice to see that I'm not alone. Congrats on finishing what I still dream of.

Steve.

I don't have any photo's right now, and if the other poster doesn't send you any I could. but the answers to your questions other that the mounting one are all no. I have a vetterman 4 pipe system on my 4 for 300+ hours with Zero problems, installed as per the instructions.

Joe Hine
RV4, "La Blonde"
C-FYTQ

4-pipe positioning? Advice please.

Steve Z / Anyone, I started installing the 4-pipe exhaust today. It is offset considerably to the RHS of the aircraft. (LHS looking aft.)

Is this, a) normal,
b) an engine frame problem - seems unlikely,
c) an exhaust problem - seems unlikely 'cos all 4 pipes would have to be made wrong,
d) something else?

While the joint allow some L/R movement they are pretty clear where they want to be.

I am at a bit of a loss as to why this should be. Larry V's sketch shows it as centrally located between the F-452(the little 1/4 cone's pop riveted on the front bottom fuse.)

It is pretty extreme to the point I only have about .5" lateral clearance on the RHS.

Thanks,

Problem with Vetterman 4-pipe exhaust.

I returned to the exhaust today but I really have a problem which I dont see how to get past. The whole system is offset to the RHS of the aircraft. It is as though the system was built forgetting the engine is offset. I cant see I have had much opportunity to do anything wrong! On the left hand side as you look at the picture there is only about 5/16" clearance.

Thomas, looking at your pictures it was not a problem for you? Any other 4-pipe installers run into this? Steve Z.., how did yours work out. Help please.

Pictures of the problem are here:
http://gikonfwf.blogspot.com/2007/11/4-pipe-exhaust.html#links

Thanks guys!

Mine is definitely offset somewhat to the right side of plane, but not nearly as much as yours. I couldn't tell from your photos, but do your pipes have slipe joints and ball joints to allow some adjustment? In any case, I think you should send the photos to Vetterman for his opinion. Maybe he sent you the wrong pipes. 360 vs 320??

Last edited:
close pipes

my install was very close to the right side also about .5 in between the pipe and the edge of the fusealage , but figured i could live with it. The picture makes it look even closer than it really is. only have a few hours flying but seems to be working ok, no rubbing so far .
Dennis
Ps. steve,
love the paint job.

exhaustandgascolatorwj2.jpg

Exhaust offset - the fix!

Thanks for the pictures and information. I contacted Larry Vetterman and had a very supportive phone call and email from Larry Vetterman.

"I have never seen the pipes this close to the tunnel. You can adjust the pipes however. They are new and very flexible. Take hold of the #1 and pull it towards the center. Give it a good push. No you cannot break it with just your amount of force applied. Then re align the #3 to it. Yes you can trim the extensions. We leave them long on purpose as some builder prefer them that way. My preference is to trim about 1.5 inches off the end."

I spent a few minutes on it today and believe this will work. (Larry has other plans if not.) I will have some time tomorrow, and when it is sorted will post some more pictures. It is great to have a supplier who is committed to having a happy customer. Larry clearly is.