RV8R999

Well Known Member
Interested in what types of fuel systems you guys are using with your pickup trucks and where you bought them..

Thanks

Ken

I assume you mean slip tanks and not installed.

Easiest is a 55 gallon drum mounted securely in the bed and a hand crank pump.

Many fancier options available. I've been hauling gas cans around for years.

usually someone will link to a diesel tank of a large size, just a warning that diesel is a different category of fuel and the tanks are not the same as the ones dot (or whatever in the approving company is ) has approved for gasoline.

it all really depends on how much you want to spend, you can get a hand crank option for fairly cheap or an electric pump you'll need the same hose and handle for either one (antistatic hose lined with a metal coil)and the tanks aren't that much different one from the other. i use my pickup all the time for other stuff and would rather use a trailer i think

Use approved components if this is going out to a public airport. Otherwise you might get hassled by the local Fire Marshall.

That happened to me, wasn't fun, and eventually led me to scrap the system. Kind of ironic because the system, although not approved, actually met all the regs - I'd pulled the regulations so I'd know what we needed.

Use approved components if this is going out to a public airport. Otherwise you might get hassled by the local Fire Marshall.

That happened to me, wasn't fun, and eventually led me to scrap the system. Kind of ironic because the system, although not approved, actually met all the regs - I'd pulled the regulations so I'd know what we needed.

Our airport hassled a friend of mine over that very issue. He had a hand crank pump and a drum in the back of a truck. In the end, after I called the Fire Marshall and everyone else at the state level they dropped the issue.

Many airports would like to force end users to use the FBO for gas purchases. In our case the airport was in the process of using Federal funds for a $16 million dollar runway improvement so I knew they were sensitive to me pressuring them on what is termed an "exclusive rights agreement." You can't force pilots to buy services from the local FBO if the airport is taking Federal Funds. For once the FAA is on the right side of an issue and they will respond to this type of behavior. This little fueling incident prompted me to go after the Airport Director, and he quit his job. I'm sure this was all thanks to me pressuring him to respect the rights of small airplane pilots and not because our new runway has to be redone thanks to contractor incompetence and maybe a little corruption from management:)

Sorry, anyway you can find a lot of nice slip tanks for sale on Craigslist or in your local classified ads. More power to the autofuel guys as far as I'm concerned.

I know this is an old thread, but I saw it when I was searching for something else.
VAN's aircraft are all low wing. Pickup truck beds are high enough to gravitate fuel to the tank.
Get one of those tiping barrel cradles. Fill and carry the drum upright, which is totally legal.
At your plane, thread in the grounded hose with control nozzle into the 3/4" NPT bung.
Tip the barrel & cradle to the horizontal (hose at the bottom) and start fueling. Slightly open the larger bung at the top to vent and break the vacuum.
If you fill less than 45 gallons, the top bung will be above the fluid level in the horizontal position.
Safe, cheap, legal.
Secure the drum in transit, have a fire extinguisher.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-Drum-Cradle-1GC91

Last edited: