nacoblio

Want to thank everyone for the great info about my wing order. I do have one more question. What size trailer do I need to pick up the wings? I have the dimensions from the Vans web page and it looks like the longest crate is going to be about 15.5 feet long with the second being about 8'x3'. I understand that they are crated in plywood but how strong are the crates? Any issue staking them on top of each other? What about putting the longer crate at an angle? The longest trailer that I have been able to find is 12' so I dont think Ill be able to find anything that I can just lay the wing spars flat on. Has anyone had experience picking these up with a trailer? If so what did you use? Any pics? Thanks for the help.

You could do it as I did with just a pickup.
2gvptdx.jpg
[/IMG]

I haven't taken delivery of wings, but I've picked up empennage and fuselage. Their boxes are more than adequate for stacking. What kills them is when the shipping company puts a fork through them.

My method

I used a flat bed car trailer for my rv9A wings. The spar box is pretty strong but I didn't want to cantilever it too much. I was worried about rain so I wrapped everything in a large plastic tarp from harbor freight. The crate weight on the web site seemed to be a little more than I experienced; or I am just stronger than I thought.

IMG_2769.JPG

Last edited: