RV10Rob

Well Known Member
Hi, all... I?m a few weeks away from picking up my RV-10 QB kit (wings and fuse, but nothing else). I have the will call instructions Van?s sends, but was curious about a few points:
  • The instructions say bring a 24? truck?is that sufficient for the -10 as well?
  • It also says that a U-haul truck specifically (as opposed to Ryder, Budget, etc) is required if the wings are uncrated due to the presence of the tie points. Is this actually true?
  • How beneficial would a wing cradle be for the trip? I plan on building a cradle, but would prefer to not to take it down to Aurora.
  • Any other advice? Stuff to bring besides the two dozen furniture pads they require? Anything else besides a big check? :)
I promise lots of pictures and a trip writeup when we're back. Thanks...

-Rob

Moving QB 10

We recently moved a 10QB wings,tail,fuselage using a dual axle horse trailer smaller than your proposed U-Haul. Skip the wing rack. Wrap in padding and tie one to each side resting on the LE on padding.

It also says that a U-haul truck specifically (as opposed to Ryder, Budget, etc) is required if the wings are uncrated due to the presence of the tie points. Is this actually true?
Yes it is, the loaders at Vans have been doing this in the Uhaul for a long time. Listen to what they have to say and follow it to the T.

How beneficial would a wing cradle be for the trip?
DO NOT try to put your wings in a cradle. There is a much better way and the loaders will do that for you when they load the truck.(reason for all of the moving pads)

Any other advice? Stuff to bring besides the two dozen furniture pads they require? Anything else besides a big check?

Yes make sure you tip the loaders for their work, they will make sure that your kit is in the truck just right!

Last edited:
Try a One way rental

Rob,

I see that you live in WA. I just picked up my RV-8A kit this past summer. I actually saved a lot in gas by renting my truck one way. I discovered the discount by looking at the rates one way and round trip. If they need more trucks back in WA they will discount the one way rentals. Due to the mileage charge the round trip can cost more. I took the train from Olympia to Portland, I set up the U-Haul from a place in downtown Portland, only 2 miles from the station. The cab was like $5-7 if I remember. I prestaged my car at the return location in Olympia. I only had to pay gas for one way and the train ticket was like $20 I think. It made for a less tiring day, a nice relaxing train ride reading my preview plans then the drive home was exciting because I had my airplane in the back.

The reason for the U-Haul is they know these truck and and how everything gets tied into place. I think they were done in less than 45 min loading and tying down. Very good guys, I ditto the tip recommendation. If you do rent round trip, talk to the rental person locally they might give you a break on the mileage.

Cheers

Wheel wells

Some trucks have wheel wells that protrude into the truck preventing the wings from being tied flat to the sides. U-haul does not have the wheel wells so has a flat floor. I used a 24ft Penske truck for my 7a, which also has the flat floor, and it was overkill

Thanks, all for the responses... sounds like I just need to do as Van's says :)

I'll definitely do the truck 1-way. Great idea on the train, too... If I can't find someone who wants to fly down to Aurora, that makes a good plan B.

Tony, if I didn't live so close to Van's, you'd have yet another customer.

Thanks again...

-Rob

New Customer

I understand. That's how the airplane shipping arm of my company got started, when I picked up mine in a Uhaul. The ride home gave me the idea. You never know what over the horizion! Enjoy the new project.

I'll make up for it soon enough. The QB wings and fuse purchase is on the horizon. The trip to Houston will be quite a haul! :eek: