Jim P

Well Known Member
I'm at the point where I need to pick an engine vendor. For the most part AeroSport, Mattituck, and Superior are all highly rated and folks really like the products. For the most part, the engine options are nailed down: XP-360 w/ Precision FI, e-Mags, c/s. Price and warantee are differentiators to some extent, but are there any other questions that are useful in determining engine builders? OSH is getting close and I'd like to nail down the engine choice during that week.

Thanks,

Jim

Don't forget to think about the sales tax issue - don't want to start up that whole personal property tax, use tax debate....but where you live, and where you buy a $20K+ item might make a difference for you!

Paul

Jim,
Please stop buy and see me in the TMX engine workshop. (In The TCM tent) I would love to go over any questions you might have. Feel free to contact me, in the mean time, if any thing comes up sooner.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Mahlon, I'll tug on the other arm. Jim, we're in building 'C' booth 3025. Come by and visit with us.

Allen Barrett
Barrett Precision Engines, Inc.

Engine Sources

I was going to buy my engine from Aerosport........a really good company, but found out about Barrett Performance, here in the states.
I think there are some other good ones here too, but I had personal information about BPA.

I ordered my injected Lycoming AEIO-390 from them, to keep my money in this country.

Haven't had time to even hang the engine, but my experience, so far, with BPA.....the "people" at BPA, could not have been better.

Highly recommend them, so far!

Roy
RV8QB
AEIO-390
Catto 3
Wiring

rv8180 said:
I was going to buy my engine from Aerosport........a really good company, but found out about Barrett Performance, here in the states.
I think there are some other good ones here too, but I had personal information about BPA.

I ordered my injected Lycoming AEIO-390 from them, to keep my money in this country.

Haven't had time to even hang the engine, but my experience, so far, with BPA.....the "people" at BPA, could not have been better.

Highly recommend them, so far!

Roy
RV8QB
AEIO-390
Catto 3
Wiring
What about price? When I checked with both engine builders, Barrett was considerably higher priced. Are they closer together now?

Vendors

f1rocket said:
What about price? When I checked with both engine builders, Barrett was considerably higher priced. Are they closer together now?

At the time, of my order, they were extremely close, for the configuration I had quoted........

Roy

Gary Bricker

Don't forget about shipping. I visited Barretts shop and was extremely impressed. Allen was backed up at the time otherwise I would have bought mine from him. Great company. :)

Jim P said:
...are there any other questions that are useful in determining engine builders? OSH is getting close and I'd like to nail down the engine choice during that week.
Jim, I posted a similar question here on VAF a few weeks back and got some good responses.

Good luck!