Ex Bonanza Bucko

Well Known Member
I have a new RV12 S-LSA from Van's. Today, at 23.5 hours TT we changed the oil which involved removing the top and bottom cowls. When we re installed them the piano hinges show on the port and starboard sides of the cowl at about the aft 10 inches. They didn't before. Can you tell me what we did wrong when we reinstalled the cowl....if anything. I call Synergy Air and they said there is no safety problem with this. But I'd like to fix it if I can...with something other than a magic marker:)

Also, to prevent future removals of the bottom cowl at oil changes do you know of a Van's S-LSA approved quick drain for the oil tank on the Rotax 912 ULS?

Thanks,
EBB

It might be more hassle, but I'd remove the bottom cowling at every oil change just to have a look-see and make sure everything is tight and right.

Either they did show before, or the hinge pin missed the last eyelets.
Pull the pin mostly out, then re-insert while pushing the hinge pieces together.

I changed mine to the quick drain. I don't see how one would change the filter without taking the bottom cowling off and not make a mess. If anybody has figured this out please share.

Stuff a towel you don't want anymore down all under the filter. No mess. Do NOT take the towel back into the house and expect your wife to wash it...

Piano hinges

Thanks guys. This is an indication of what a new owner of a brand new and shiny airplane sees and doesn't see:

I had looked at my new airplane a lot and had never seen those piano hinges before. Then I changed the oil and they were very evident. I called Synergy Air and they said that seeing them was no problem so I forgot about it until I got home and looked at the photos my son took of me and the bird as it was being delivered last week....TA DA! There were the hinges nice and bright.

....wonder what else I have missed :)
EBB

The exact same scenario happened to me the first time I removed the cowling. I re-inserted the long pins 3 times because i thought it looked funny.

Hi Fellow Builders , can someone please tell me where to get a quickdrain fitting for the bottom of the oil tank as mentioned? Part # ? With thanks, DEAN..

Also see: CPS and Lockwood. There are two popular versions: a fancy blue-colored twist version and a typical brass (?) Curtiss valve version. I chose the Curtiss valve for my RV-12, but have the other version on the company Bonanza -- both work equally well IMHO.

While the quick drains do make draining the oil easier and less messy, I still encourage all to remove the lower cowling at every oil change -- all sorts of things could be going on under there in 25 - 50 hours of engine operation!