Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
The piano hinge to seat pan (floor) rivet callouts are for AN470-4-4. I'm finding it challenging to drive these rivets without putting indents in the hinge and floor. Could I use LP4-3 pop rivets? After all the floors themselves attach to the ribs with LP4-3.

Piano Hinge

Yes, in my opinion you can use LP4-3 pop rivets for the floor pan to piano hinge attach. However, a couple of things to try with the AN470-4-4s before you give up on them:
1. Make sure the parts (floor pan and hinge in this case) are well secured before riveting. I try to clamp these sorts of assemblies to the bench, or the workmate so they don't move around when driving the rivets.
2. Try some Snap-Soc rivet set caps (try Avery). I found these really helped cushion the rivet heads and helped keep the rivet set centered.
3. Make sure the rivet gun or air regulator to the gun is set properly. Too much air pressure will make the set jump off the head. Try some test parts/rivets to get the pressure where you want it.
4. Try a tungsten bucking bar. I can't remember when I last used my cast iron bucking bars. The tungsten bar is so much denser, easier to control, and does not tend to bounce off the shop head.

Have a C-Frame?

I back riveted them using my Avery C-Frame, fast and easy, with excellent results!

I put a long hinge pin in the hinge segment prior to riveting. This helped keep the hinge segments from buckling while being riveted. Actually, I do this for all hinge segments on the aircraft. And, if I can place the matching hinge segment on the "to be riveted" hinge segment, I do that also.

Thanks for the replies...

I ended up shooting the rivets, and they turned out alright. Some slight waves in a couple of spots. But the pins go in fine. I do have a c-frame and back rivet set. I should have used that.