RV8R999

Well Known Member
Anyone with pictures of hand-holds on the roll bar? Would like to see how you've done this... As I get in and out of my -8 (without windscreen or canopy) I cannot get away from using the roll bar as it is just too natural a hand-hold and makes it much easier. sure would hate to damage the composite strip so was thinking some kind of hand-hold should be installed.

Thanks as always!

Ken

Ken,

These handles are a bolt-on solution available at Aircraft Extras. Scroll to near bottom of page:

http://www.aircraftextras.com/

Install a single or pair of handles at a location or locations that suit you. Before drilling holes, give your preferred location(s) some careful thought. I use the left handle to ease ingress and tend to grip both handles to aid egress. The arrangement works for me. Some builders view handles as a safety hazard. That's an issue for you to decide. I seem to recall cutting this pair down slightly (or was it my -6A?) so the handles do not protrude aft quite so much. Retrofitting them is not difficult. This pair was installed after the windshield was attached.

2eutu1f.jpg

Rick - exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Safety hazard? Egress or head trauma issue? I'll be installing two in similar fashion.

much appreciated!

Ken

Ken Pretty much same thing available at Home Depot or Builders Square in the cabinet section for a few bucks. Basically drawer pulls. Work great for this old H3/H2 driver on my -6

Last edited:
Ken Pretty much same thing available at Home Depot or Builders Square in the cabinet section for a few bucks. Basically drawer pulls. Work great for this old H3/H2 driver on my -6

Here's mine, also from aircraft extras.

DSC_9218.JPG

Mine have been shortened quite a bit , but still provide plenty of room to wrap the fingers around them. They barely protrude beyond the windscreen fairing.

The aircraft extras handles are aluminum, and are very light. Much lighter than typical hardware store handles.

Skylor

RV-8 QB, Under Construction

Home Depot not quite the same,...

Just a point to know is that the Aircraft Extra handles are significantly longer than a drawer pull. This allows them to go through from the rear and attach from the front. My experience was that the drawer pulls looked good but didn't allow enough hand room if installed the same way. The Aircraft Extras worked very well on the fat 7 roll bar and are extremely solid.

If I remember right, you line it all up carefully and drill completely through the roll bar for a #8 or #10 screw, both sides. That sets your alignment. Then you drill the rear hole only out to the handle diamether which I think is about 5/16. You slide the handle in from the rear and then #10 screws go in from the front of the bar to lock it in place.

Think this through before you drill. There is some adjustment later by bending but the initial hole really needs to align correctly. Don't forget to consider the canopy clearance when you set the alignment.

The Aircraft Extras were worth the $20 to me.

Hope that helps.

Bill S
7a finishing.

I made mine out of some 5/16" material from ACS. Cost less than $10 for the rod/screws/S&H. But that material is very very difficult to bend and get a nice outcome. I'd probably buy a set from Aircraft Extras if I were to do it again. I met the owner at Oshkosh last summer. Real nice fellow. What he charges for them is very reasonable in my opinion. Here's a picture; I have more $$$ in my handles than my panel ;)
53134d5657020db708111ec0edf3b28030479_IMG_0214.JPG

I had the handles welded.

Went to one of the local hardware stores where I picked up a steel rod (I believe it was 1/4") and had it welded to the canopy bow as pictured (like the Rocket) . Dave
1252596imgr.png

Last edited:
handles

sorry, no pic handy. I find them indispensable in my -9a even....(especially for passengers). I put green 'safe to grab' vinyl on all the parts of the cabin that are ok to grab!
my two bits worth is that they can be tilted 'up' much more than you'd think, and still clear the sliding canopy bow.
This reduces the intrusion into your head space.
If doing it over, I'd make mine protrude more rearward, so that I could glue a chunk of rubber hose over the tubing, to make them less likely to cause a headache, and still leave room for fat or gloved fingers between the handle and canopy bow!
Try to sit in a plane with handles, or take a mockup with you and you'll see what I mean.