MartySantic

Well Known Member
Looking forward to the photos of the Skyview installation in Mitch's RV12.

Upload your all of your photos from SnF to your favorite service (Picassa, etc) and post your link here. Since some of us will not be going, it would be nice to see them.

Skyview not ready yet

Marty, Mitch told me that the Skyview will not be operational on the -12 at Sun'NFun.

Well, here is hoping for its debut at Air Adventure, next cog in the wheel. I can only wait so long before I need to order my Avionics kit.

At Van's booth. There were no rv's there. Was told they were waiting for them to land before airshow. They did not arrive before air show. Left at 4 pm.
I will return wed for pictures.

SkyView Status

I spoke to Mitch at the Van's booth today. He said he has the panel with Skyview down here with him, albeit not installed in the -12. He said it should be at their tent tomorrow. I am looking forward to seeing it and grabbing some photos.

Looking forward to the photos of the Skyview installation in Mitch's RV12.

Upload your all of your photos from SnF to your favorite service (Picassa, etc) and post your link here. Since some of us will not be going, it would be nice to see them.

Sun n Fun Tuesday

I spoke to Mitch at the Van's booth today. He said he has the panel with Skyview down here with him, albeit not installed in the -12. He said it should be at their tent tomorrow. I am looking forward to seeing it and grabbing some photos.

Photos from Wednesday not Tuesday "Sorry"

sun_11_van_01.jpg

sun_11_van_02.jpg

sun_11_van_03.jpg

Last edited:
Closer pics please! I can't make out the note on the GPS. It seems to say "Room has been provided for a GPS provided by the vendor. A <?????> will not be provided in the Skyview Avionics <??????.> This capability will be provided by Skyview in the future. And, what gets mounted in the two places above the screen? The open square slot in the center - is it sized JUST for a COM or for a com and transponder? Looks like just a com. Dees that mean the transponder function is included in the skyview now? What about the dual option and then the contents of the panel on the right? More details please!

Sun n Fun Wednesday

Closer pics please! I can't make out the note on the GPS. It seems to say "Room has been provided for a GPS provided by the vendor. A <?????> will not be provided in the Skyview Avionics <??????.> This capability will be provided by Skyview in the future. And, what gets mounted in the two places above the screen? The open square slot in the center - is it sized JUST for a COM or for a com and transponder? Looks like just a com. Dees that mean the transponder function is included in the skyview now? What about the dual option and then the contents of the panel on the right? More details please!

sun_11_van_04.jpg

sun_11_van_05.jpg

sun_11_van_03.jpg

Great! More! Looks like the center switch panel has now separated out the strobe activation for ground ops. Still lots of questions though.

Skyview

Interesting. Did you happen to ask them about retrofitting? Obviously it is part of the plan because they will be putting it in Mitch's plane.

Pete

The SkyView system uses a remote transponder controlled from the screen buttons. Code appears at the top of the screen (same as Garmin G1000/G950).

With apologies for a poor quality photo but it shows you what can be done with two 10" SkyViews and an RV-12 panel - and before you ask, the standby ASI, alt and compass are a UK requirement.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jerry
I count 20 circuit breakers. What is there a need for 20?
I am no where near your stage so I don't doubt it is the correct number for your panel.
John

Last edited:
Very nice

Once again, Van's and Dynon are on their way to hitting a home run. The SkyView looks great in the panel and the revised switch panel with the apparent revised lighting functions looks much improved to me.

Van's is listening to their customers and is providing some great answers. Hope that they will include an original install 'dual SkyView'. A 'flying avionics platform' - all right - I like it!!!:cool::cool::cool:

18 0r 20

Jerry
I count 20 circuit breakers. What is there a need for 20?
I am no where near your stage so I don't doubt it is the correct number for your panel.
John

I think two may not be circuit brakers?
maybe lights?

Dual 10"?

I spoke to Mitch today and he said that it wasn't for sure yet whether the second optional Dynon would be the 7" or 10" as it was a power draw concern. Hoping for dual 10" but if not, my wife gets a 7" display on her side :)

PowerDraw

Don't forget you can very easily put an alternator on a 912. Not sure how it would fit under the cowling etc but they do make one.

Pete

Alternator

If U look at the New Liberty with the ROTAX engine on it there is an External Alternator fitted on it Upper front left side...those of you at Sun N Fun can see if live there if you visit there Display...........its also showen on AveWeb news..!.Cheers.

Circuit breakers

If you install the new VP-X power supply system you do NOT need any Circuit Breakers OR Fuses thats the beauty of it!! And its a lot lighter and Safer!

I would have had fuses but my co-owners like CBs so we went the traditional route (and VP-X power wasn't available at the time we decided to go this route...!).

There are 18 plus two grommets ('just in case' holes). They are for:
1. Main power
2. Nav (SL30)
3. Com (SL30)
4. Txpdr (SkyView)
5. Nav/strones
6. Land light
7. Interior flood light
8. Headset power
9. Power socket
10. Alternator
11. Starter
12. Auto pilot
13. Fuel pump
14. Pitch trim
15. Stall warner
16. SkyView P1
17. SkyView P2
18. Intercom

My estimate for total power consumption (based on all the figures I could find) is 19A - but that's all the lights on, autopilot operating, backup battery charging, transponder transponding etc - not a very likely scenario.

A more normal consumption should be under 10A. Time will tell if I'm right or fitting the aux alternator...!

Incidentally, the belt driven fron mounted alternator is an official Rotax option (40A). Our Tecnam P2006T has a pair of them, it's an option on the Tecnam Sierra (good if night flying) - they don't use LED lights which make a huge difference to the consumption figures..

The only thing that is till confusing the **** out of us is getting the battery master and avionics master switch LEDs to light up when you want them to light up (ie when 'on'). Very strange, tried everything but they don't work well when controlling solenoids'relays, it would appear!

Alternator

mounted alternator is an official Rotax option (40A). Our Tecnam P2006T has a pair of them

Any thoughts on how the Rotax alternator would fit under the 12 cowling?

mounted alternator is an official Rotax option (40A). Our Tecnam P2006T has a pair of them

Any thoughts on how the Rotax alternator would fit under the 12 cowling?

I'll have a look at our Tecnam when I get the cowlings off next and I'm at the big European Friedrichshafen show week after next so will try and get some pics (there's bound to be a Sierra with one fitted on the stand - cowlings open a la PA28).

Haven't got to installing the engine and cowlings on the 12 yet but I might be able to give some idea.

Back to the Skyview discussion. Still do not understand why there is a hole in the panel for a Garmin 496 or some other user supplied GPS.

I thought the Skyview/GPS option is currently being offered by Dynon (Model SV-GPS-250), making any external GPS unnecessary.

XM

An external GPS will give you access to XM music and weather. Don't know if Dynon has any provision for that.

The switch that separates the nav lights from the strobe lights will require another wire be run to the wingtip. The existing lights common those individual wires on the tip light and feed them from one wire. One wing has a spare terminal, the other does not. Even after installing the tip lights, I left in a pull string. But I am not sure I want this feature enough to pull another wire and mount another terminal on one wing.

Bill, that's exactly what I thought when looking at that switch. Do I really want to take the nav light fairings off to pull another wire through and get this feature? I thought about how often I ever used this feature with my flying RANS S-12S which has split switches for nav and strobes. The answer was: never. I think the only time it would be making a difference is when flying at night. You wouldn't want to ruin the night vision of other pilot while n the ground. I'm a sport pilot, I don't do night flying.

Nav/Strobe

Pulling the wire in the wings is only part of it. An additional two wires will have to be pulled into the main fuselage bundle, up over the pedals into the instrument bay.

I would never have much need to run with just the nav lights on either, but if I were getting the new panel I would want all the switch positions functional. I just can't stand to have "inop" switches.

Tony

I will probably wire the switch so that either position works both the strobes and the navs. Presumably there is a "both off" position in the center. The only reasons for separating them are courtesy at the ramp (no strobes then, lights OK) - but you could just wait until taxi-out to activate both, and cloud reflections in night IMC. And you could just turn both off temporarily for that. (A cautionary response with appropriate FAR reference expected next...)

The only reasons for separating them are courtesy at the ramp (no strobes then, lights OK) - but you could just wait until taxi-out to activate both, and cloud reflections in night IMC.

Hi Bill,

You did leave out one good reason, which is formation flying early and late in the day when lights are a good idea (or required by rule) strobes (his or yours) are not a good idea when trying to concentrate on your lead-man.

Best regards,
Vern

Just flying around in the daytime, I generally leave the nav lights off since they don't show up well. But the strobes do, and I always fly with them on.

I only fly day VFR, no night flying or IFR stuff.

Dave

Pulling the wire in the wings is only part of it. An additional two wires will have to be pulled into the main fuselage bundle, up over the pedals into the instrument bay.

I would never have much need to run with just the nav lights on either, but if I were getting the new panel I would want all the switch positions functional. I just can't stand to have "inop" switches.

Tony

I think you would only have to add one wire for the strobs to the panel and if you run a ground for the interial light back like the plan calls for to the main panel you could ground the light and use that wire for the strobs.
BGL

RV 12 New Panel (?)

SKYVIEW 145 MaybeIf you look at the top of panel there is holes or slots What do you think they are for.

Skyview RV12 Panel

Here is a pic of tne new panel http://i55.tinypic.com/2ypdg87.jpg[/URL]