Alschief

Well Known Member
We received our Airworthiness Certification today from the FAA Inspector.

We were surprised that he assigned a 40 hour phase one period.

We are using a certified O320 engine matched to a Sensenich Metal Prop purchased through Vans Aircraft.

He stated that the combination must have existed on a certified aircraft to be eligible for the 25 hour phase one.

Our hanger mates just had their Sonex with an Aerovee/Composite Prop assigned a 25 hour period by a DAR.

Any insight would be appreciated

We received our Airworthiness Certification today from the FAA Inspector.

We were surprised that he assigned a 40 hour phase one period.

We are using a certified O320 engine matched to a Sensenich Metal Prop purchased through Vans Aircraft.

He stated that the combination must have existed on a certified aircraft to be eligible for the 25 hour phase one.

Our hanger mates just had their Sonex with an Aerovee/Composite Prop assigned a 25 hour period by a DAR.

Any insight would be appreciated
DARs vary. The Sensenich is not a certified prop much less certified with that engine so your DAR took the normal route and I don't think you have cause to complain. You never know what might happen though. I know a woman who has an uncertified wood prop who got the 25 hour period.

Last edited:
DAR decision

Based on your engine/prop combo, your DAR made the correct call.

25 Hours

Al,

Are you using an O-320-H2AD? I got a 25 hr. Phase 1 with mine.

I presented my DAR with the 70CM Type Certificate and this message from Ed Zercher at Sensenich, which I got from the Matronics RV list.

Anyone using a Sensenich should have these webpages, page 1, page 2, in their documentation that you present to your DAR. The 70CM IS TYPE CERTIFIED for use on the Lycoming O-320 series engines!

It's probably to late to get your Phase 1 changed to 25 hours now. This isn't the first time I've heard of someone getting 40 hours with a certified E/P combo.

I can get my fuel burn under 5 GPH at about 135 MPH, so after you get all the required testing done you can putt around your test area somewhat economically and not see the same cow pasture too many times. :p Hopefully you got more than the standard 25 mile radius test area.

I've been extremely happy with my H2AD. I've got almost 500 hours on it and continue to get complements from other pilots who ride with me how good it starts and how smooth it runs.

Phase One Hours

Tony,

Thanks for the reply I have forwarded the information to the FAA Inspector
He seemed to be open to additional input.

We were certainly unprepared for the 40 hour assignment.

In regards to the O 320-H2AD every person whom I have contacted using this power plant has been very satisfied with its performance.

Regards

It is certified...

DARs vary. The Sensenich is not a certified prop much less certified with that engine so your DAR took the normal route and I don't think you have cause to complain. You never know what might happen though. I know a woman who has an uncertified wood prop who got the 25 hour period.

Larry... I think you are confusing the certified Sensenich O-320 prop with the uncertified Sensenich O-360 prop....

Check out their web site.

gil A

Larry... I think you are confusing the certified Sensenich O-320 prop with the uncertified Sensenich O-360 prop....

Check out their web site.

gil A
No, I knew which prop he was talking about, I was just wrong about the certification. Live and learn.

Phase One Hours

I sent Tony Kirks reply to the FAA Inspector.

He has agreed to amend the Phase One Hours to 25.

Tony thanks for the reply.

We were certainly unprepared for the 40 hour assignment.
You had plans to stop flying after 25 hours? Or willing to sell the plane after phase one?

Otherwise I can't see why this seems to be such a problem. Fly and learn how you plane does in different situations and it should take closer to 40 hours to do everything and do it well. I guess you have some limitations for phase 1 flying (as we do), but they are not killing... you can apply to fly abroad if borders are too close etc.