UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - I just recieved a call from a builder that I know asking a question about Phase I testing that I don't really know the answer to.

During Phase I, does any time spent on taxi/ground testing count towards the 40 hours, or are the 40 hours exclusively limited to flight time?

If anyone knows the official answer, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jason

Hobbs

Not an "official" answer but I would presume the only way to mechanically monitor the engine time would be the Hobbs meter. Once the Hobbs reads oil pressure, the meter is activated. It does not distinguish between flight time and engine run time. My DAR recorded the Hobbs meter when he issued the airworthiness certificate and told me my hours were based on that time.

I have to differ. My Ops Limits specify 40 hours. Under "Limitations" it states "...the required number of flight hours in the test area...". Flight hours are recorded from the first movement of the aircraft under its own power FOR THE PURPOSE OF FLIGHT. Taxi testing would not meet this rtequirement.

I have to differ. My Ops Limits specify 40 hours. Under "Limitations" it states "...the required number of flight hours in the test area...". Flight hours are recorded from the first movement of the aircraft under its own power FOR THE PURPOSE OF FLIGHT. Taxi testing would not meet this rtequirement.

Are you saying that you "subtracted" all of your taxi time while taxiing out to a runway for departure while in Phase I? Probably not. How many builders spend more than an hour taxi testing? My interpretation of this post was that he was asking if he should count the time taxiing out to the runway for actual flight, in his flight time. I don't think there are too many builders taxiing up and down the taxiway simply to run up their Hobbs meters. In that instance, I would agree with you.

Officially.....

Your phase I consists of 40 hours flight time.
That includes all time between the time the wheels leave the ground until they touch down again.

If you have enough "taxi time" to make a real difference, you may have other issues.

DRBuilder,

I think you missed the second part of his reply. He is saying that taxiing in prep for flight counts towards the time...just not taxiing for the sake of taxi testing.

FAA definition for flight tme

The following is copied out of 14 CFR Part 1:

Flight time means:

(1) Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing; or

Based on the definition, anytime the aircraft is moving only for the purpose of taxiing and there is no planned flight it is not loggable flight time.

OK,...

I'll buy that. My understanding of the question was, Does "taxi testing" time count.
Yes, taxiing for take-off does count.

However, too many people concentrate on "time". The idea is to complete phase i testing no matter how long it takes. The 40 hours is a "MINIMUM TIME"!

Mel, I agree with what you said. I just like to point out that for somethings everyone should reference the regulations and not the forums where there are many opions. You always base your replies on your years of experience as a DAR and knowledge of the regulations.

DRBuilder,

I think you missed the second part of his reply. He is saying that taxiing in prep for flight counts towards the time...just not taxiing for the sake of taxi testing.

Yes, I missed that. Taxiing for the sake of taxiing or testing should not be counted in your phase I flight time. Like Mel said, if you are taxiing enough to make a substantial difference on your Hobbs meter, you probably have bigger issues.....