MSFT-1

Well Known Member
My RV-10 is almost ready to fly (expecting to fly about November 7th). I am expecting the DAR to impose 40 hours of Phase I with all the normal restrictions (VFR, Day, required crew only, 75nm radius). I managed to get a very coveted spot at one of the top paint shops around but it is going to mean flying it to the shop before I will have the 40 hours flown off.

Does anyone know how hard it is to get a ferry permit to fly the airplane outside of 75miles before it is out of Phase I? Does the FSMO push back or is this mostly a paperwork drill?

Any guidance appreciated.

Bruce,
Talk to your DAR. If the paint shop is within a reasonable distance, he can add a corridor to the paint shop in your original operating limitations.
Phase I flight test area is up to the DAR and whatever he feels comfortable with.

Good luck with that. I was given 25 mile radius and had to redo the paperwork to get 50 NM clear of Charlotte's class B, which was about 1/2 my test area.

Our local FAA inspector just gave us 75 n.m., as long as we stay away from Class B and C airspace.

Almost Done?

Bruce,

How long have you been workign on your -10? You managed to do that and work for MS at the same time????

Jim
Slave in Redmond

No problem

I needed a ferry permit to go to a controlled airport to a radio repair guy. The airport is 25 miles outside the "box" we had but it was easy to get the permit.

It was done by phone/fax.

Regards,

I was given a roughly 100 by 100 NM area for phase I. I also was given a statement that if I needed to leave the Phase I are for Maintenance I had to notify the appropriate FSDO.

It did not specify how to notify ie email letter phonecall etc.
It did not define appropriate FSDO
It did not define maintenance.
It did not require approval.

So I would consider paint maintenance and send an e mail to a FSDO of choice informing them of the plan.

Depending on the DAR your phase I can be quite flexible.

Be sure to ask for a statement allowing aerobatics and flight over congested areas after you certify the plane is safe and has no adverse handling characteristics and ask him for what you need to get to the paint shop. If he is totally inflexible get someone else to do it.