ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
The cage door flew open today and my bird is free! As is the norm for this entire project, regular life slowed down the completion of this final goal but I prevailed.

I spent the final 2.5 hours today taking more best climb/glide data and took my very first heavyweight passengers along for a ride...several bags of gravel.

I want a little more head room for my gross weight plus, I wanted to see how the plane reacted to passenger weight before I took a living, breathing passenger so bags of gravel seemed like a good substitute.

I've got to say, having bags of gravel as a passenger is not a bad way to go. I mean they don't complain, they don't get sick, they don't start blabbing while you're trying to listen to the radio...they just sit there and enjoy the ride. I even took some of their luggage for a ride. Oddly enough, the luggage of choice for bags of gravel are more bags of gravel! The kid at the hardware store was puzzled why I would take back all the gravel that I purchased this morning. All I can say is, thanks for the gravel rental Orchard Supply Hardware! :D

This weekend looks good for a family fly day. I promised my 11 year old daughter that she'd be the first passenger so she goes first.

Now excuse me while I explore the world!

Keep pounding those rivets!

Last edited:
Funny thing, the bags of bentonite borehole abandonment filler that begged me for a ride today insisted that I also bring several bags of dog food. Strange request, but I complied. Not a peep out of them despite the bumps and stinky air due to local forest fires. They did willingly allow me to demonstrate the gross weight and aft CG behavior of my airplane. Which turns out to be a lot different than lightly loaded. All the people who say "build light" are right.

Kelly, congratulations! Looking forward to the first ridiculously expensive lunch outing in some neighboring state!

That's good news Mr. Kelly Johnson! Interesting to see you first trip write up. Please visit VAF often and offer your building expertise.