John G

Friend
I am about six hours into phase one for my RV-8 and find that after 15 years of building I am not enjoying flying and don't really have a mission for it. I am considering selling while still in phase one.

Does anyone know what this would entail or where I should look for applicable regulations? Would the buyer just need to go to their FSDO for a revised phase one flight area and get a ferry permit to move the plane to its new home? Are there any other factors to consider?

I am about six hours into phase one for my RV-8 and find that after 15 years of building I am not enjoying flying and don't really have a mission for it. I am considering selling while still in phase one.

Does anyone know what this would entail or where I should look for applicable regulations? Would the buyer just need to go to their FSDO for a revised phase one flight area and get a ferry permit to move the plane to its new home? Are there any other factors to consider?
If the purchaser needs to move the aircraft, he/she would need to have the op lims amended to the new phase I area. If the distance is great, a ferry permit is unlikely for an airplane with only 6 hrs. Options would be to truck the aircraft to the new location or fly off phase I before moving to the new location.

Last edited:
consider what its worth as it sits, and what it would be worth when it has its airworthiness certificate.

What is the price difference? Does it make $ense to finish the job, or let it go?

consider what its worth as it sits, and what it would be worth when it has its airworthiness certificate.

What is the price difference? Does it make $ense to finish the job, or let it go?
If it's flying then it already has its AWC--getting the AWC precedes first flight. It could be a negotiation tactic for a buyer to offer lower due to the fact it's in Phase 1, but I'm guessing it wouldn't result in a huge discount being that it has flown. The real variable would be how motivated is the seller to get out from under it.

When I've been a buyer in the past, a Phase 1 sale was almost disqualifying -- I wouldn't really know what I was getting, as if you ever know when buying a homebuilt.

Suggestion: the plane will probably be easier to sell if you have a ton of documentation on the flight testing already done; equipment lists with models and serial numbers; avionics interconnects (not necessarily pin to pin, but port to port with settings, etc.); to hopefully reduce risk and unknown factors to the new buyer.

Paying somebody to finish Phase 1 is also a good idea, but don't forget all the documentation.

A few years ago the wife had to help fly off some phase 1 hours for a plane that was bought and the FSDO refused to amend the flight test area. She spent a few weekends in a row travelling to the original flight test area to put hours on it. It's a way more attractive plane if you can get it out of phase 1 before selling it.

I helped a friend aquire a non RV still in phase 1 with 15 hrs on it. It was a out 30 miles away, and we got the phase one area changed via a DAR..the FSDO would have been cheaper but was too busy. In his case, the 2 areas were close and no questions were asked. As others mentioned, it's best to try and find someone to fly it off and be done with it.