noelf

Well Known Member
I have been flying in Phase 2 for several years now, and keep the required Phase 2 OP Limits document in the aircraft. I also have kept the original Phase 1 document in the aircraft, for no other reason except it is a convenient place to store that document.

I got to thinking the other day that if I were to get "ramp checked", would it be confusing to the FAA folks if I still had the Phase 1 documents in the aircraft along with the Phase 2 documents? The only place that states that my aircraft is in Phase 2 is in the aircraft / airframe logbook, and I don't keep that logbook in the aircraft, therefore I could not prove to the ramp checkers (if required) that the aircraft was operating in Phase 2.

Is this a problem, or am I just over "what if'n" this?

Phase I

Don't worry about it. Keep them together. The logbook entry explains which phase you are in. If you ever make any changes such as replacing the prop with the latest wifferdool prop, or something else that could change the FLIGHT characteristics, you will want your phase I limitations as the local FSDO will most likely ask you to make a logbook entry and then adhere to your Phase I limitations.

Vic

Well, who knows what's confusing to the FAA these days.
I have my whole op lim package in the plane, together. But on the first page of the phase one document I wrote, "not applicable, superceded by phase two on (date), my signature and license number".

I scanned all that stuff into a PDF file and keep it on my iPad (I always fly with the iPad now). I keep the hard copies with my logs in the hangar. I'm like you guys--if the FAA asks for docs, I will just let them see everything.

Please be aware that the Original Airworthiness Certificate and Operating Limitations must be in the aircraft any time it is flying.

Thanks Mel. I have the original airworthiness certificate onboard, however I was not aware that I need the original ops limits...will do that from now on.

A copy of the OP Lims should be acceptable. When you lose you Op Lims, the Oklahoma City Registry has been known to FAX a copy that is on record so that you can keep flying. I showed the FAA Inspector a photo copy that is printed two sided the last two times that I had a Ramp Check. (Yes I have had two ramp checks in the past 12-months.)

The Airworthiness Certificate (8130-7) MUST be original. IF you laminate it, the FAA Inspector will tell you that you cannot do that as lamination is a modification of the certificate and it must be replaced.