pmccoy

Well Known Member
Phase 1 flight test period has been completed. Yes, I am out of the box. For the first 40 hours of flight, I have been restricted to an area between Victorville and Barstow out over the Mojave Desert in Southern California. It?s hot. It?s bumpy. There is nothing to look at but sand. I am glad to be past the phase one restriction, as it was actually getting boring just flying around in circles and do nothing but passing time and of course lots and lots of flight testing.

On the flight testing front, here is a partial list of the kind of things I was repeatedly testing; Slow Flight, Turns, Climbs, Descents, Stalls in several different configurations, gliding, fuel burn, leaning and economy RPM settings, speed tests, gross weight testing (actually added 50 pound bags of gravel until I was at max gross weight) and more. Flight testing was very helpful in getting to know my new plane. I think one of the lessons that really stood out for me was the gross weight tests. After adding each 50 bag of gravel, I went out and did stalls. Watching the stall speed increase with each additional pound of weight was great testing and very eye opening. It also made me rely on my Lift Reserve Indicator. As the stall speed increased with weight, the LRI still showed the same position to indicate a stall. When the plane is clean, power off stalls happen at the intersection of the Red and White lines on the LRI. When you add flaps, the stall happens a couple of degrees into the Red area on the LRI. Gross weight stalls were 6-7 knots faster then solo. But the LRI was a constant. I like it!

Here are a couple exciting photos from my phase 1 box....

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

Hey! Congratulations for getting out of the box and for installing an LRI! I have one in my 9A as well and have really come to appreciate its simplicity and the information it provides, no matter the loading.
Enjoy the plane, no doubt it's been a long journey. Now the adventure part 2 begins!
Hope to meet up someday.

Peter - where was the 'home' airport that got you that test area? Just curious. Congrats on getting your freedom!

I fly out if Cable (KCCB). I moved the plane there several years ago, since the phase 1 area was most of the desert. Since then the FSDO has refined and reduced the testing area.

Wings?

OK ... for someone who's waiting for the wing kit to arrive, Phase I testing sounds wonderful and exotic. I'll bet you slipped the surly bonds, and actually took flight?

Congrats! KHAF is a great fly-in for post Phase I'ers. A free lunch may await you here! ;-) (If, you can avoid the fog or file IFR...)

Pete,
Hope you can get down to Ramona some time. Lunch on me. My project should be going to the airport in a couple of months.

Hope you can get down to Ramona some time. Lunch on me. My project should be going to the airport in a couple of months.

Bruce-

Lunch at Ramon sounds great. We can go for a ride and let you have some stick time in the 9A. Sounds like fun to me. I am going in for paint shortly, I will look you up after I get out of the paint shop.

Peter congratulations! It feels good leaving the cage. Start expanding your perimeter but do it slowly. If you go far plan ahead don't just start up in the morning and run like some people do :D. Would be glad to see you on East Coast some day.