Pilottonny

Well Known Member
Hello all,

After exactly five years of building, on 31/08/10 my RV9-A, registered PH-VAN, flew for the first time. With me in the left seat and a very experianced instructor, Geert Lemmens, in the right seat, who made a perfect first landing, the RV-grin got established.
This plane is realy a dream to fly, arfter less than two hours of training by Geert, I am now flying solo.
The only real thing to sort out is a heavy left wing (is there any out there, that did not have to tackle this after first flight?)

In the next two weeks I hope to get the rigging problem solved and have the main wheelpants painted (I just had to go fly instead of painting!). If the weather permits, I hope to attend my first Fly-in, at Texel Airfield on 18/19-09-10, and show off my brand new RV9-A. (yearly RV/Europa fly in in the Netherlands)

Many thanks to everybody who posted answers to all of my questions. I would have lost even more sleep if it was not for so much help from the VAF-forums.

The plane:

Engine: XO-320 with dual Electronic ignition and Fuel injection.
Prop: Hydraulic CS, whirlwind 200 RV.
Interior: Classic Aero Design, leather, carpets and instrument panel trim.
Intsruments: Dynon EFIS and EMS, Garmin GTX328 Tranponder, Garmin SL30 NAV/COM, Avmap EKP IV GPS, Trutrak Autopilot, Fuel guardian, CO guardian, ELT, classic back-up instruments, etc.
Paint: PPG Base coat and clear coat. (Ferrari red, white and black)
Tanks: Long range, 2 X 100 ltr.

Please enjoy some pictures:

My wife and I, Geert on the wing, just after first flight, at " Zwartberg" (EBZW)

f_upar3my6m_cece125.jpg

Parked in front of the hangar, at the home base (EBZW)

f_uo39kg7fm_2777f44.jpg

PH-VAN parked at "Leopoldsburg", Belgium. (EBLE) I do need to get those wheelpants painted!!!

f_uqdu5q28m_539a3c4.jpg

Glass panel, wall to wall leather and carpets.

f_uqdu5q2bm_1775a63.jpg

Glued canopy (Sikaflex)

f_up9mwj3am_030c1ad.jpg

Thanks everybody for your support,

Regards, Tonny.

Cool looking plane

Congratulations. Looks like a quality build you have achieved. I have just made first flight myself and I know how nice it is. Enjoy.

Tony,
Accept my congratulations and best wishes! I enjoyed watching your build and learned a lot from you! Thank for your contribution here on VAF looking forward to meeting you in Europe some day.

Tonny,

Congrats on your first flight. I hope you have many enjoyable hours of flying to come!

Nice plane - Congrats

Tonny,

Nice job - one more 9A to add to Van's Hobbs meter. You guys (and gals) ahead of me on the builds keeps me pushing forward. Looking forward to joining the flying ranks myself one day.

Doubtless one of the most beautiful 9's I have ever seen. Very well made, glamourous paint. Flawless interiour. Intelligent panel. Hope you will solve the left heavy wing problem soon.Comgrats and good flights.

congratulations, tonny!
take one snag at a time and eventually it's mature...

you will LOVE the RV!

hope to see you someday at a a flyin around ;-)

cu bernie

CU soon (at Texel?)

Hi Tonny,

Very nice job! Hope to see you soon, somewhere around the low countries.
Bernie and Alex, also my congrats to you! Why don't you all drop in on the largest fly-in in Holland on the weekend of 17 september? http://www.flyin.nl/

Enjoy your wonderful planes!

Conrats! like everyone else says you are going to love this "bird". As far as the heavy left wing, I had the same thing happen at which time I called Van's about and they told me to just fly it for about 5 hrs. It was amazing how the heavy wing just seem to disappear. Later i added the aileron trim and now no issues.:cool:

Good Luck
Peter S Marshall
RV9A flying

HUGE congratulations ...

..to you, Tonny. You and I started building about the same time, and I've watched the progress of your build for five years now. It's VERY exciting to see of your first flight.
Among the many items of good news here is the number of incredibly fine beers you have in Belgium to celebrate Flight #1 with !!! I did graduate business school work in Ghent and Brussels and learned to love Belgium in a short period of time. ESPECIALLY the beer !!!!!

Hi Tonny,

Very nice job! Hope to see you soon, somewhere around the low countries.
Bernie and Alex, also my congrats to you! Why don't you all drop in on the largest fly-in in Holland on the weekend of 17 september? http://www.flyin.nl/

Enjoy your wonderful planes!

hi rene,

sorry, not possible yet.
we're restricted to switzerland for the first 40hrs and until we pass the noise certification. (that test is next saturday, though).
guess it takes us till the end of year to reach 40hrs.

cu bernie

Many thanks

Thanks for the congrats, everybody. It is nice to hear that some of you have followed my building process over the years. I hope you enjoyed my posts.

The weather is very bad over here at the moment, but I hope to go fly again in the weekend. If it stays the way it is, that will give me a chance to sort out the painting of the wheelpants and heavy left wing.

In the meantime I am organising things like a tie-down kit, canopy cover, etc.

During the first flight, I got a request from the tower from Maastricht-Aachen airport, (a local small airport) who saw me on the radar, for a visit to their field. So we did a low-pass over runway 03. He reported back yesterday: 170 kts ground speed on base leg! Wow, I even throttled back during the decent, before making the turn to final!

Regards, Tonny.

Last edited: