jjhoneck

Well Known Member
I know some people have experimented with mounting cameras, primarily GoPros, on their RVs. I have, and it's fun.

My GRT Horizon HXr has the ability to display either a FLIR or standard video on it. I have toyed with the idea of permanently mounting a camera up in the tail, looking forward (or backward!), and connecting it to the EFIS.

That's a giant PIA, however. So, why not something like this?

DF-EYECAM-PAL_1.jpg

Wireless! Just feed 12 volts up to it, connect the wireless receiver to the EFIS, and away you go.

It seems almost too easy. Anyone tried it? Any good results?

Often the low cost wireless just can't compete in picture quality...
The RF signal is weak and poorly shielded etc.
BUT, maybe this one will prove me wrong...

Another impressive technological breakthrough is the pricing on those cameras that record to DVR continuously. (These are the ones that the Russians seem to all use, as protection against being scammed in bogus/staged car accidents.)

$15!

ir-vehicle-in-car-dvr-dash-cam-camera-road.jpg

Think about it! For $15, you can have a continuously recording flight recorder!

The Chinese are astounding. I don't know how they can even ship it here for fifteen bucks, let alone make it!

The Chinese are astounding. I don't know how they can even ship it here for fifteen bucks, let alone make it!

Convict labor? Lack of environmental regulations? I'm always amazed at the stuff I find on Fleabay. Relay and audio amplifier modules, PIR sensors, all kinds of stuff selling for less than my parts cost to build it -- with free shipping and they get here in a week, thanks very much. China's a big country with a whole lotta people in it, and they're not stupid. I get the feeling there's a very strong "can-do" attitude there reminiscent of the USA many years ago.

Anyway, back to RV related discussion. Jay, thanks for making me think about this. I was vaguely thinking I'd probably mount a camera somewhere the "usual" way once my plane was done, but now that I think about it -- why not just permanently mount one or two? There's PLENTY of room for many of the small camera modules available now, and there are even a few places where we'll have clear plexi already in place. If it's in the cockpit, a USB webcam and a Raspberry Pi would make a nice little DVR system with wi-fi transfer to your laptop or whatever, and weigh only a few ounces.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Convict labor? Lack of environmental regulations? ... I get the feeling there's a very strong "can-do" attitude there reminiscent of the USA many years ago.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Not to mention outright theft of the basic technology. All this cheap stuff comes with a steep price tag. Sure we get cheap stuff but when nobody has a job who's going to buy it.

Having said all that best way to find out if an idea will work is to try it. If the cost is essentially less than lunch the downside if it ends up in the trash can isn't all that great.

Beware the overall quality however. There is a reasons some manufacturers are bringing stuff back here after rushing headlong after the lure of low labor costs. But most of the stuff that enables you to be reading this is made over there so there's that.

Jay, have you done anything with this? I am thinking about mounting at least one, maybe as many as 4 cameras in my 7 as I build it. Since I have the luxury of doing whatever I want at this point, I was thinking about using small CCTV cameras fed into a little mini DVR. I have found some DVRs intended for security systems that will record 30 frames per second from four cameras at decent resolution (960H); they're small, cheap and light. I could do a few cameras and a 500GB DVR for around what a Virb or GoPro would cost with mounts and stuff.

I'm thinking one camera in a wing, maybe using the mount point for the stall warning vane; possibly one mounted somewhere aft, and one or two in the cockpit. A panel mounted switch could turn them all on or off. I'm ust starting to look at maybe doing this and just wondered if you'd done anything yet.

If it's in the cockpit, a USB webcam and a Raspberry Pi would make a nice little DVR system with wi-fi transfer to your laptop or whatever, and weigh only a few ounces.

I am using an SJ4000 cam with excellent results (essentially a Go Pro knock-off). You can pick it up for around $100, it will record a couple of hours of video, can be setup to start recording when power is applied, and can transfer videos via WiFi.

Here is a good review of it:

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/9/22/at-last-its-the-real-sj4000-wifi-review.html

-Dj

Not to be paranoid, but this stuff could be subject to subpoena. The vehicle industry is finding this out. I'm not saying don't do it, just passing on a thought.

As quickly as camera technology changes, one would perhaps want to mount a camera in a bay or other way such that it could be removed easily and a different one mounted.

Last edited:
Be quick to remove the micro SD card in case you were caught doing something irresponsible, like a 100' AGL inverted Fly By. :)