docrick

Just ordered the Isham tool RV kit and set up my garage to build a 9A SB.

Looking at the preview plans one thing is for sure; I've never in my life ever read a blueprint. As a foot and ankle surgeon I work with tools and hardware a lot but alas no blueprint reading skills necessary in the OR.

My lack of "mechanical training" reading blueprints is frustrating. It seems like I've got to stare at the dang drawings and read the "directions" for a lot of time before it sinks in.

Any suggestions about how to educate myself in the accurate reading of blueprints so it is second nature?

Thanks.

I don't think there are any shortcuts, just spending more time acclimating to the new communication medium. After a while you'll adapt and know where to find things before you pull the drawing page out.

Keep at it!

Not So Dumb

Doc,
I'm an engineer and have trouble reading them too, sometimes. Drawings are an art form and much is personalized and non-standard. Trying to save page count, the draftsman will "hide" related information on different pages. Then there's the revisions, incorrect info, obsolete info, etc. The best way might be to take a drafting class at the local jr. college. Or find a high school text book. Pouring over the drawings before/during/after is what most of us do, however. I make copies of the preview drawings and highlight different elements using different colors - rivets, dimensions, etc. - as they relate to the build sequence of a part. I also make notes and reminders as I "discover" features. I'll also make a check mark beside each number/notation to ensure that I haven't overlooked (in plane sight) something. Hope this helps.

I have an engineering background as well and still those preview plans were confusing at first. Once I had the actual parts in hand it became much easier to understand what the prints are telling me.

Just take it a step at a time. Study only the vertical stab at first (even though the plans start out with the horizontal stab, most find it easier to start building the VS first). When you get the actual parts, take them out and look at them and compare them to the drawing. Go online, check out the RV9 links on Van?s page, and look at pictures of how others built theirs, and read of any problems they may have had. Then, get building.

It will get confusing at times, and it is easy to get overwhelmed when you simply look at that big book of preview plans, but with time, it will all begin to make sense. I am sure when you started human anatomy, you were a bit overwhelmed, yet you got through it, one bone and organ at a time. An airplane is no where near as complex as a human body, and if you can operate on a human without an anatomy text next to you, will be able to learn to read a Van's blueprint. It will be a challenge at times. Information you need (such as rivet callouts) won?t always be where you think they ought to be, and you may have to search through a few drawings to find it, but you will it.

And, of course, you always have us guys out here to help. That is the best thing about building an RV ? there is always someone here who can help. There is also a chance there will be another RV builder in your local area who can help you, too.

I have an engineering background as well and still those preview plans were confusing at first. Once I had the actual parts in hand it became much easier to understand what the prints are telling me.
What Mike says above was also true for me, and having the actual parts in hand helped (but did not make it much easier). Everytime I see these folks, I thank them for helping me build our RV-6A: George & Becki Orndorff

I bought a set of their videos (VHS back then), and between the plans, the Orndorffs and a few SoCAL builders/fliers, I was able to build an RV aircraft. Check out their videos, and I wish you the very best in building! :D Rosie

Just ordered the Isham tool RV kit and set up my garage to build a 9A SB.

Looking at the preview plans one thing is for sure; I've never in my life ever read a blueprint. As a foot and ankle surgeon I work with tools and hardware a lot but alas no blueprint reading skills necessary in the OR.

My lack of "mechanical training" reading blueprints is frustrating. It seems like I've got to stare at the dang drawings and read the "directions" for a lot of time before it sinks in.

Any suggestions about how to educate myself in the accurate reading of blueprints so it is second nature?

Thanks.

Hang in there, Doc.

I have a good friend who is a retired orthopedic surgeon and is having the time of his life building a 7 and doing an excellect job. He is so adept with tools, he may not drill a hole through one of his fingers as some of us do. Once you receive the large prints, the plan is easier to read. The details are all there - somewhere. :)

Don't try to digest the whole picture in one sitting. Start with page one and move as fast as you can when you figure out what it is they want you to do. To go to page 98 and not understand what it is they are talking about can be frustrating. It will all fall into place as you move forward. Using the tools will come with a little practise. Find some guy who has built and airplane and he will show how to rivet in less than 2 hours. Jim Cone, who now lives in Squim (sp) checked me out. I'm sure there is someone near by who will be happy to do the same and answer any questions on the drawings.

I'm an engineer as well. I even used to teach students at university how to draw these prints (by hand). Of course, no one draw these things by hand anymore, and if the drawing were available on some CAD program they would be so much easier to read on a laptop in the shop. Today engineers use exclusively CAD programs with different colors, layers, even 3D views etc etc, it's a whole different world than a stack of large papers.

I too find the drawings time consuming. The important thing is to study them a long time, several times, because there is so much information there, spread out on several sheets. If you never have read prints, then I suggest you get a book "blueprints for dummies" or something, then you get the basics and it will be much easier.

Not a dumb question at all. I would hazard to guess that very few of us in these forums were very experienced when we first started.

I have degrees in computer science and mathematics and I make may living as a systems architect. I was very overwhelmed by the plans when I first saw them. I read them and re-read them and then read them again 'til they started making sense.

Like Rosie said get the Orndorf videos (I would only bother with the emp videos as you'll be an old hand by the time you get to your wings). They may be a bit outdated (pre-punch kit when I got my videos, don't know if they've been updated recently).

Another thing that floated my confidence was taking one of the SportAir classes. I took the general metal building class but there is one dedicated to RV assembly.

No dumb questions

snip
Looking at the preview plans one thing is for sure; I've never in my life ever read a blueprint. snip
My lack of "mechanical training" reading blueprints is frustrating. It seems like I've got to stare at the dang drawings and read the "directions" for a lot of time before it sinks in. Thanks.

My daily work life includes reading commercial/residential blue prints, amung other things...like going for coffee, going for lunch, speaking to customers:)
I find when starting a new section of the RV project it does require some time to "sit and stare at the plans", just to wrap your mind are around it.
I ordered the wings, fuse and the finish kit at one time and while I haven't counted how many pages of blue prints there are...yes, it can be all too intimidating.

EAA TCs

Find out from your local EAA chapter if there is a Technical Counselor living nearby. There is a pretty good chance he/she is a past/current RV builder...:)

I've found that plans reading/interpreting can be one of the useful functions I can give as a Technical Counselor.

Also, an easy rule of thumb....

"If it looks wrong, stop, think, check... and ask..."

gil A

Getting started

I started a 9A last month. I resemble your comments.

My solution and recommendation is to start with one of the offered classes. I attended the Empennage building class at Synergy Air last month. One intense week will substantially complete the empennage. The skills, tips, good practices and techniques are invaluable. You should leave with an "I can do this attitude"

PS: plan on studing the plans at night to review what you did and what is next tomorrow, by the end of the week your plan reading skills will greatly improve.

No question is a dumb question. We ALL faced what you are facing now. I was crew chief on Blackhawks, could teardown and rebuild that $13M helo with minimal help, but when I saw the 9A plans I said to myself, " what in the h--- have you gotten yourself into this time?" I sat and starred at the plans for 3 months and could not make sense of them. I finally got really mad and fell back on my military and medical(I'm an RN now) training. ONE STEP AT A TIME. Don't look at the WHOLE picture, you WILL be overwhelmed! LOL. Do EXACTLY what the manual says to do, one line/paragraph at a time. It's a building process much like med school was. You learn little things first then retain and build on those developed skills. It will start making sense, eventually. But even then, when you think that you have it all figured out-whammo-call Van's or email us. We all help each other, that's why the VAF exists. Actually the manual is very good, compared to others. Not perfect, but very good. The building manual is the Rosetta Stone, the plans just show you where piece A fits with regards to B, C, etc. Hang in there; heck, you made it through med school, don't be so hard on yourself. If you need more help just email us or pm me. I'm at the canopy stage, don't ask, so the knowledge base is available to you.
Good luck,
Mike H 9A/8A

Building contractor

Hi Doc,
My partner's Dad was a building contractor and he could read our RV plans because of his experience. If you know one, ask him as well. Remember, the drawings will have a side view, top view and front view of the same part. Occasionally, you'll see a line drawn through a part with A__________A or B______B. This means that if you sliced through that part where that line is, you would see what it looks like on the larger drawing on the same page, usually.

One piece at a time,

Try first...

Hi Doc.

Welcome to the club!

I suggest you buy the Vans practice kit and their toolbox.
Both will give you GREAT practice!

Also you might consider taking a RV-building class?

Best of luck!

Regards Alf Olav Frog / Norway
RV-7 finishing/wiring

Welcome to my world!! LOL

I completely agree with the above comments. I'm a mechanical & nuclear engineer, worked in nuke power for 25 yrs. In 2001 left the industry, went back to school at OHSU to get my degree in Radiation Therapy... took Anatomy with the med students. It's all intense and something you work through. In nuclear power, we call complex problem solving "nuking it out".

Once you start getting parts on the table, reading the plans and looking at the drawings, what you're working with starts coming together. I get frustrated with info spread out over numberous pages. Van's support e-mail ([email protected]) has been quick to reply to drawing questions.

I've been using the search tool of this forum to "look ahead" at discussions of others about what I'm working on now or coming up in the plans. Helps A LOT!!

I also built a Long-EZ in '85. Many of the same issues. Airplanes are structurally complex machines, but not incomprehensible.

An important thing to keep in mind with these pre-punched kits, if it doesn't fit right... take a step back and "nuke it out", because 99.9% of the time you've got something wrong.

Get confused.... you're in good company!! Often the best thing is to just step back, sleep on it and a light will go off in the middle of the night.

Remember.......... Measure twice, cut once!!

Thanks for all the advice

Man I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought what the !@#$%^ with regard to the blueprints!

I was beginning to feel like a moron!

Can't wait to start banging rivets! At least with this thing if I make a little mistake I won't cripple anyone. :D

Perhaps a really dumb answer

My lack of "mechanical training" reading blueprints is frustrating. It seems like I've got to stare at the dang drawings and read the "directions" for a lot of time before it sinks in. Any suggestions about how to educate myself in the accurate reading of blueprints so it is second nature? Thanks.
Well as a surgeon you are of average intelligence. :rolleyes: More important you can think in 3D. You know anatomy right, anterior, posterior and so on. No difference, we have

STATIONS (front to back from a datum)
WATER LINES (bottom to top from datum)
BUTT LINES (left and right from datum, center line usually zero)

Vans manual gives a little primer on blue print or mechanical drawing reading.

You probably can get a little book on it or even Google it and read some primers.

There my even be "Blue Print Reading for Dummies out there".

When you get the parts, the drawing you read, think, fit, check, measure, check again, read again, think, check and THAN DRILL.

You will get it. You will just be slow at first, which is fine and actually good. Rushing a way to make mistakes. If you are tired stop. TAKE YOUR TIME. If in doubt, WAIT IT OUT. Wait to the next day and call Van's and ask them or post on the list to verify. Sometimes the drawings are NOT clear and can be miss interpreted. However Van has made great strides in his drawing and manual, but it is not perfect. There can be mistakes in them, so ask questions.

Now there are some tricks and gotchas in reading drawings. One tip is try and think ahead like a chess game. You want to look at ALL drawings that may reference that structure. Try to picture the WHOLE assembly in your minds eye. That will help in the sequence of assembly and possible interference.

Remember you are also working with pre-made parts that fit well and are even PRE PUNCHED. It almost builds it self. One danger is OVER Confidence. You will get to the point where you will see how it goes together with out even looking at the drawings. However I would refer you to the above, there are gotchya's if you don't understand ALL Dwgs that affect that particular assembly.

Enjoy the learning process.