drmax

Well Known Member
Hello. Redoing my POH and after looking at others online (mainly for format and my new w/b numbers) I've found some folks using 1800 as max load and 120 for max baggage. What am I missing here? Don't see how anyone could have fat fingered those two numbers. Thx, DM

Numbers

The 1800 is gross weight. A 160 rv9a has a Van's gross weight of 1750, but many builders list their gross at 1800 or even 1850.

The 1800 is gross weight. A 160 rv9a has a Van's gross weight of 1750, but many builders list their gross at 1800 or even 1850.
Really...so then if there is an accident, then I guess these people don't care about their insurance. (not to mention their safety or the planes) I was wondering how weight and balances were passing in some of these configurations. Problem solved....just raise the gross weight! Good grief...DM

Really...so then if there is an accident, then I guess these people don't care about their insurance. (not to mention their safety or the planes) I was wondering how weight and balances were passing in some of these configurations. Problem solved....just raise the gross weight! Good grief...DM

Nothing shady going on here. :)

The manufacturer of the plane (the builder) can legally establish the gross weight. This is nothing new, done and discussed for decades. Insurance shouldn't be any problem as long as a realistic weight is declared. Weight and balance still need to be calculated using the declared gross weight and if it all falls within range there is no reason to believe insurance will be an issue.

For instance....an RV-6 with a wood prop (as was common when the -6 was introduced) will most likely be limited to 1600lb in order to stay within CG range. But if a constant-speed prop is installed, then 1800lb should be useable, and this is why many RV-6's are registered with this gross weight. There are structural limits if +6G is to be considered, but most RVs will never see 6G.

Last edited:
Nothing shady going on here. :)

The manufacturer of the plane (the builder) can legally establish the gross weight. This is nothing new, done and discussed for decades. Insurance shouldn't be any problem as long as a realistic weight is declared. Weight and balance still need to be calculated using the declared gross weight and if it all falls within range there is no reason to believe insurance will be an issue.

For instance....an RV-6 with a wood prop (as was common when the -6 was introduced) will most likely be limited to 1600lb in order to stay within CG range. But if a constant-speed prop is installed, then 1800lb should be useable, and this is why many RV-6's are registered with this gross weight. There are structural limits if +6G is to be considered, but most RVs will never see 6G.
did not know that. Do now! Thx dm

Performance specs

Since I'm both new to the RV (and experimental) world, I am doing all I can to familiarize myself with my new aircraft. Has anyone developed charts regarding take off roll, clearance of a 50 ft. object as they relate to temp and density altitude. Same goes for landing data. I'm sure you all are familiar with the typical POH charts we all poured over in the certified world. Just curious if any of the (smarter than I) engineering folks have done that.

Since I'm both new to the RV (and experimental) world, I am doing all I can to familiarize myself with my new aircraft. Has anyone developed charts regarding take off roll, clearance of a 50 ft. object as they relate to temp and density altitude. Same goes for landing data. I'm sure you all are familiar with the typical POH charts we all poured over in the certified world. Just curious if any of the (smarter than I) engineering folks have done that.

This might help
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=21835

...if a constant-speed prop is installed, then 1800lb should be useable, and this is why many RV-6's are registered with this gross weight.
Should be usable based on ?

Remember, the engine mount was designed to carry a 160HP engine at 6G. Add another 100lb for 180HP plus constant speed, and how much do you de-rate the G-rating at gross? How about at aerobatic gross?

There are structural limits if +6G is to be considered, but most RVs will never see 6G.
Indeed Max G in a -6 at 1600lb is +4.4G, as per the manufacturer. At 1800lb the limits are unknown.

This will depend, sometimes dramatically, based on engine, prop, empty weights, etc. Every RV is different in this regard. If you just purchased an RV it would probably be prudent to go through a comprehensive test period, both to familiarize yourself with YOUR aircraft and to determine the performance numbers you are looking for. Have fun!

Should be usable based on ?

Remember, the engine mount was designed to carry a 160HP engine at 6G. Add another 100lb for 180HP plus constant speed, and how much do you de-rate the G-rating at gross? How about at aerobatic gross?

Can't (well, won't) comment on max load factor at 1800, but the mount I received from Van's for my -6A was the same part # as provided for the -7A, which is also rated to 6G with an IO-360 and constant speed prop.