David Bell

Well Known Member
Please share specs: Only one was quoted by Craig...
Three Blade Catto Prop
O-320 160hp on RV-4
68x70 = 2800rpm/195mph
68x71 = ??
68x72 = ??

I did not think he was selling 3 bladed props right now. I have the only 3 bladed prop with the new design. He will have another one this week for his plane with a few changes. Will post my flight test results hopefully today or tomorrow.

Short answer: I was seeing 167kts true turning 2700 rpm. I was full throttle. It was faster than my previous 2 bladed sensenish prop. Don?t know the pitch. He would know.

Id like to know

I am very interested too..I have sent 2 Emails over the last 3 months to Catto trying to get a quote for a 3 blade and haven't heard a word back. I have an 0-320/160hp running a Sterba, but I can barely get 150kts at 2700 and still holding back from WOT. CS isn't an option for me, as my H2AD is not configured for a governor, so I am looking at my FP options closely.

data point

I have a Catto 3-blade 68-72. TAS@2700RPM, 8000ftDA is 189mph, 125HP. I believe it needs to be repitched as this is only about 70%power on this engine.

Last edited:
68/72

My static RPM is 2140 with a 68/72. Craig said 2700 would produce 197 mph.
0320D2B 160HP 902.25LBS.
Haven't flown it yet. Waiting on the DAR to set a date!

My static RPM is 2140 with a 68/72. Craig said 2700 would produce 197 mph.
0320D2B 160HP 902.25LBS.
Haven't flown it yet. Waiting on the DAR to set a date!

902.25? Good job.

It will be a month or so befor I can give my numbers for the engine prop combo

Prop me up...

Please share specs: Only one was quoted by Craig...
Three Blade Catto Prop
O-320 160hp on RV-4
68x70 = 2800rpm/195mph
68x71 = ??
68x72 = ??
David,
Prop results vary with airplanes. If your 4 is straight, well-faired and a healthy 0-320 out front you should see 170KTAS at 8500' WOT. Your mileage may vary. Historically Craigs 3 blades have been slower at top end than the 2 blades but smoother and a bit better climb.

Not any more...

The reason Craig isn't marketing 3 blades right now is he is busy perfecting a new 2 blade design (Gen 3). I am blessed to be his first RV customer on the new design, again. I currently have a loaner while waiting for the new prop. The new 2 blade prototype is vastly different from his previous props and (as before) once he gets the 2 blade working well, then you will see the 3 blade emerge.
The prototype 2 blade was mounted on Bruce Hammer's Glasair (0-360) and he posted a 258 MPH winning race time in the Airventure Cup FX class this summer. Bruce commented that the new prop had much better low end pull and never "ran out of gas" climbing to 16,000' and accelerating to top speed.

When I get the new prop and get it flying I will post the results.

V/R
Smokey
www.iamanet.org

PS: More importantly (for me) I can fly a 58Knot final approach into my 1500' strip and not have the "pull" of most FP props at idle.

Last edited:
258 mph? Okay, I'll take it. Oh, dang, that was on a tricked out glassair. Well, I'm looking fwd to hearing the RV4 report.

Thanks,
Bill

PS: More importantly (for me) I can fly a 58Knot final approach into my 1500' strip and not have the "pull" of most FP props at idle.

Smokey, are you talking about the Catto 2 blade doing this for you??

I'm very interested in the slowest safest approach speed possible. I had an Aymar Demuth 2 blade prior to my present Catto 3 blade. I find the 3 blade to act like a speed brake compared to the AD 2 blade. If I want some "pull", I have to add a little power. At idle, I'm coming down.

I look forward to you reporting your experiences in this regard.

Cheers, :)

2-Blade Catto (Gen 2) Data

Flight test derived data, RV-4 s/n 2112 (short gear). 983 lb operating weight, CG @ 69.83" aft of Van's standard datum. Operating weight includes unusable fuel, all equipment and furnishings (i.e., everything except crew boarding weight). Aircraft fitted with Lycoming O-320-D2J (160 hp) engine (certified configuration + fuel pump, carburetor equipped), Vetterman four-pipe exhaust system and standard Van's cowl and baffle system. A Catto two-blade (second generation) prop is installed. Nickel leading edges. 68 x 72. Data is for "prop out of the box," i.e., no post-manufacture tweaks by Craig. The prop was designed to achieve 195 MPH Vmax at 2700 RPM at 8000 density altitude. When reviewing the tables, use CAS and or TAS (not IAS) for comparison purposes data is presented in MPH and Knots. Sorry, but I don't have data for high-altitude cruise. Above 8-10K', TAS becomes the primary reference to ensure I'm not encroaching on Vne (210 MPH)--especially during descent.

Like Smokey said, YMMV! I imagine that the Gen 3 Catto will be an outstanding fixed-pitch propeller; but expect the improvements to be in the area of takeoff/climb performance and, perhaps, cooling flow--i.e., even better all-around performance...I'll defer to Smokey and Axel's comments...The current Catto prop is more than capable of nailing specified cruise performance!

First table is Lycoming-derived power available vs. altitude:

j133ns.jpg

Second table is climb/glide data:

wkn091.jpg

Third table is cruise performance data with gear leg fairings and wheel pants installed:

2i8hnjs.jpg

Fourth table is cruise data, wheel pants removed (winter operations, etc.)--note gear leg fairings remain installed:

2gujt6w.jpg

Fly safe,

Vac

Last edited:
Performance Specs O-320 160hp Catto 3-Blade Prop Latest Batch

How did the last most recent batch of 3-Blade props come out on performance?

Pretty dang good. I am very happy with it. He just made a "cruise" version of the prop. It is on my buds -6 with an O320.

He sent me this text today. He will do dedicated testing tomorrow. This was his quick flight home after getting the new prop.

"It's a cruise prop and at 2300 rpm, I am showing 175mph. At 3,000 ft MSL."

"Climb is the same as my old prop at 120mph and 1300ft/min. It dosen't slow down like you said your's does. It is smoother like a turbine at cruise."

He went from the new 2 blade version to the new 3 blade. Can keep you guys inforrmed if you wish. He does not post on VAF.

Axel,

I would appreciate updates as I am very seriously thinking of buying one of the new 3 blades for my -4.

Thanks

Axel,

I would appreciate updates as I am very seriously thinking of buying one of the new 3 blades for my -4.

Thanks

Well.... Stop thinking and buy it :) you wont regret it. And no i don't work or get anything from catto. I am just a happy customer. I use my airplane a lot. From formation flying at airshows to xcountry to acro and that $100 burger.

The only negative thing is that the prop is so light, you have to be careful with weight and balance on -4 and -8. I added a heavy crush plate from saber to compensate. The side by side are not as bad but another of our ravens teammates with a side by side also decided to add a heavier crush plate and he is happy.

0-320 AND A 3 BLADER

I have an 0-320 B2C 160hp on my RV-4 driving a Catto 3 bladed 68 x 70. Looks awesome, sounds awesome, cruises at 135 knots IAS 2400 RPM at 25 litres/hr :D

Installed new Catto 3-blade #11133053. diameter 67" pitch 72"
Mfg. January 2014. O-320D3G 160hp on RV-4.
Today beautiful day with hight pressure set in...
KLFT, 1:00pm, wind clm, bp30:18... Static: 2150rpm mp29:80.
In pattern 1000', wot 2900rpm, 174kts, 200mph, mp30.4. This was my first flight with new prop. More to come at altitude/cruise, etc.