WISC

Well Known Member
Dear VAF
I need some input from RV owners. I am considering constructing a grass strip. I presently don?t own a RV but it is the desired aircraft to fly out of the strip.

I realize that each RV is a little different but I need the best guess of distance needed to clear a 100 foot obstacle, yes 100 not 50.

Assume 0-320 and fixed pitch with 2 adults for a RV 4 or RV 6.

I realize you are only providing your estimate, you are not liable for any input.

I think the best way to find out is go find one, and ask the owner to do a normal take off in NIL wind, and you do the measuring, then add 30%.

I reckon you will at least 2000'. But that is just as reliable as me saying 3000' as it is a wild guess at best.

Test and measure is the best way, and allow some margin.

There are a number of variables here that make this really difficult to answer...like prop pitch, 2 or 3 bladed prop, grass hieght, elevation, direction relative to prevailing winds, pilot skill, pilot/pax weight, temperature, humidity, plane weight, etc..

That said, our own RV6's have lived on grass for decades...my experience is that the least you'd want confortably with zero obstacles would be 1200-1400'. Starting there and if you add in obstacles, just start doing math with your particular variable and first hand real world trials. Find a long grass strip in your region, mark it off and see what you and the plane can comfortably do. With tall obstacles, I could easily envision a need for a strip 2500'-2800' or even more in length.

Sorry I'm not that much help, but it is a really difficult answer to provide something definitive.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Thank you, and please keep it coming.

All information is helpful.
I don't have an airplane so everyones input is helpful. I know there are a lot of variables. Maybe a better way to ask the question is this:

What is your aircafts take off distance, normal run?

What is the vx speed?

What fpm do you get a vx?

Again I appreciate anyone telling me how "their" airplane performs, knowing no two are the same.

Take a look at http://53VG.com and watch the video and look at the details. I fly a 150HP fixed pitch RV-8. It should give you some feel for the experience.

Stein also makes an important point. The quality and maintenance of the strip is a factor.

Stein's Rv6 lives on grass? He is in Minneapolis...they don't have grass up there. It's all tundra and glaciers. Other than that obvious lie, he is spot on. A lot of variables to consider.

Last edited: