prkaye

Well Known Member
Are there any typical numbers available that tell you roughly what percentage of the total build each subtask accounts for? For example, maybe building the Vertical Stabilizer 1% of the total project, each wing is 5%, etc?
One way to calculate this would be if Vans provided estimated times on average each subassembly takes. Then you could just divide each of these numbers by the estimated 1500hr total to get an estimate of the percentage of the project each subtask accounts for.

Phil,

Check my site, I've posted how much time I have spent on each section. When I started I thought the low end would be 2000 hours and 2200 hours on the high end. I'm currently at 2181 hours and still see about 200 - 400 more hours to go.

The spreadsheet I created for my log book gives me a % number but that is just not going to work out for my project.

Phil,

I think when I started building, I saw the following numbers for building an RV7-EH:

Empennage: 200 hr
Wings: 400 hr
Fuselage: 400 hr
FWF: 400 hr
Finish: 400 hr
-----------------
Total: 1800 hr

I think a lot of guys claim that these numbers are just about right, but I don't see very many websites where people show their hours, anymore.

When I did the empennage, I hit it exactly at 200 hrs, including fiberglass, but not including paint. The wings took 522 hours (no paint). The fuselage is currently at 545 hours and I am about 2/3 of the way through it. As you can see, things are starting to surpass the "standard" times by quite a bit. Yes, these times include the time I spent sitting in the factory, staring at plans. No, they do not include the time that I spent on special projects (LED nav lights, wingtip lights, annunciator panel, sewing test cushions, etc.).

A few years ago, at SWRFI, I commented to a builder that his RV-6 looked really nice, and that he must have spent about 3000 hours on it. He was insulted, because he had spent 5000 hours on it (it looked more like 3000 to me, it wasn't that nice).

Many builders who do a quickbuild claim that they finished in the 1200 hours that Van says it can be done in. Others seem to spend more like 1600-1800 hours (even more).

So, you can see that the time to build an RV is all over the map. You might be able to go with empennage = 10 percent and each of the other major tasks are 20 percent each, but that could change drastically, depending upon whether you did everything "standard" (i.e., by the book) or whether you did a lot of customization (for example, rolling your own alternative engine installation).

We are building experimental aircraft, so everyone's experience will be different.

Cheers,
Tracy.

From my logbook

This was a QB RV7a with a Sam James cowl, IFR pre wire from John Stark.

Empanage: 122 Hours (including mounting to fuse, minus tip finishing or paint)

Fuse minus panel/instruments:.. 163 hours

Panel, paint and instruments, wiring:.....286 hours...Wow!

Engine, make own baffles,plenum,cowl:...400hours

Paint:..... 300 hours

Final assembly about 40 hours

This is my second airpane but my first using solid rivets

Frank

qb7

H FRANK,

I AM STARTING EXACTLY A 7QB AND YOU HAVE EXACTLY THE INFORMATION I WANTED, BUT I BELIEVE YOU FORGOT THE WINGS TIME.. CAN YOU TELL ME HOW MANY HOURS DO YOU TAKE?

Ah hAh...Yes I did

. See below

Wings 85...Not including mating to fuse..Took two days with ailerons and flaps)

Remember the sam James colw will take longer than a standard Vans cowl.

Frank