cjensen

Well Known Member
I'd like to hear from those who've dealt with Penn Yan for your engine needs. I've been purusing the engine sites today, and inputing data in my engine spreadsheet. Penn Yan seems to have some of the best prices/packages out there for what you get for the money. The base engine packages seem pretty complete, with a few options available like cold air forward facing induction for IO's, roller tappets, custom paint...

How was the service?

I know they build a quality product as some of our customers at work have gone with them for their overhauls.

Comments?

Chad,
Not sure how much help my experience will be since I only have 50 hrs on my PY O320 but here goes:
For 17.5K (shipping included) I got a 0-time rebuild from Penn Yan with 1 lightspeed 2+ and 1 magneto for ignition, carb, skytech starter, fixed pitch, 160 hp, 8.5:1 compression. A nice logbook is included with run data from the factory, AD compliance, Lightspeed info, listing of new parts installed (from what I can tell, the only "used" part is the crank case). Basically a new engine. The only assembly involved was bolting on the new carburetor.
Installation on the engine mount and hooking up the CHTs, EGTs, exhaust, and misc. hoses and tubes was a no-brainer.
They were very professional to deal with and they even send me a very nice, huge airplane calendar each year.
After only 50 hours it has never given me cause for concern which is to be expected, however, the 1969 C-172 I learned on is powered by a PY O320 which is not original for the airframe but must have 1000's of hours on it anyway and the owner loves it.
I shopped around and this was easily the best value and quality for my money.

I grew up about an hour and a half from Penn Yan and flew charters for several years out of Western NY, until '98. All of our airplanes had Penn Yan engines in them; from the TIO-540 in the Chieftains to the 0-320's in the Cherokees and Cessnas. If I recall, every engine made it to TBO, including one of our Lances that made it to 2800 hours! They always had good customer service while I was working out of NY. I would recommend them.

Jim