Joe

Well Known Member
Has anyone experienced an oil pressure gauge malfunction like this?

OilPressureGaugePegged.jpg

Van's installation instructions includes troubleshootng tips but this problem happens with electrical power off (as well as on).

This started happening about 20 hours after the gauge/sender was installed to replace an intermittent Rochester gauge/sender. The sender is mounted on a Van's 3-way manifold on the firewall and shares oil pressure with a switch that activates the Hobbs meter. The gauge settles down and reads correctly after I advance the power for takeoff but it goes past 100 PSI to the 5:30 position after I land and turn off the battery master. Go figure!

It's a P.I.T.A. to access the gauge so before I start to tear into it, I wonder if anyone else has seen this.

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:
Somebody has to say it

The quality of Van's gauges are suspect(1). I have not heard of this particular problem but it does not shout quality. There have been other unrelated complaints about Van's: Tach, MAP and AMP gauges, but the OP is a new one. If you call Van, I give 4 to 5 odds they say its OK, don't worry about it if it reads correctly. George :confused:

(1) - Just an edit on above comment. Many have bought, installed and used Van's gauges with no problem. Van's has excellent customer service and long warranty (5 years?). As far as quality I don't really know, but I do think gauges should read correctly with or without power. I equate quality with reading correctly even with pwr off. It is a small issue if it works otherwise. If its an idiosyncrasy of the gauge, as I said Van might say it is OK; than you must accept it. That's all.

Last edited: