dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
I began some glassing. I purchased the West system. I purchased their peel ply ( I think they call it releasing paper or agent; something other than peel ply). I purchased a circular knife which cuts the bi directional cloth really easily. I am struggling to cut the peel ply. What do you cut the peel ply with?

I just used a pair of scissors and it work great. easy to cut. Trick I did with doing the fillet around the cabin top where it sets into the door area is after I put the resin, flox mix I put clear tape over it. You are able to use your finger and run it over the tape and after it hardens and you rip the tape off it is super smooth.

Just to pile on the responses.....

I used a cheap pair of Harbor Freight scissors for cutting. Sometimes I needed to cut strips that I pre-preg with epoxy. Since most of them I got for free from HF, no worrys when they got funky, just pitch them in the trash.

I just used a pair of scissors and it work great. easy to cut. Trick I did with doing the fillet around the cabin top where it sets into the door area is after I put the resin, flox mix I put clear tape over it. You are able to use your finger and run it over the tape and after it hardens and you rip the tape off it is super smooth.

Clear tape works great as a release agent where you don't want anything to stick, but I wouldn't use it as a replacement for peel ply. Peel ply leaves a slightly rough finish, which is beneficial if you need to apply a little more micro or sandable filler/primer. Otherwise you would need to rough up a smooth surface.

I began some glassing. I purchased the West system. I purchased their peel ply ( I think they call it releasing paper or agent; something other than peel ply). I purchased a circular knife which cuts the bi directional cloth really easily. I am struggling to cut the peel ply. What do you cut the peel ply with?

Dennis, you purchased nylon peel ply. Good, professional stuff, but expensive, and apparently harder to cut than ordinary dacron polyester.

West nylon release fabric is $19 ~ $20 per yard. Uncertified polyester is about $4 per yard, and if any of your buddies has covered a fabric airplane, their Ceconite or PolyFiber scraps are usually free for the asking.

I did pay quite a bit. I got it at the front desk of the West Systems folks right here in Bay City, MI. I live 5 minutes from them. Their technical service has been very helpful as begin the glas work.

As Dan said - been using offcuts of Ceconite for ages.

There is nothing better than the feeling of peeling it off and revealing your super finish underneath.

Use it on just about every layup as it sucks the excess resin out of the layup which isn't doing you any good.

Works really well on carbon tapes as well.

I use a circular pinking shears - just because I have them from fabric jobs, but any cheapo Wal Mart scissors will work fine - if they blunt, you've spent a few bucks.

Bit like hand saws..... Who would ever contemplate sharpening a saw these days ?