Doug,

Just wanted to say thanks for the new PDA weather page :) . I've been checking weather on my blackberry for over a year now. The new page loads much faster. I appreciate being able to check the Fla radar, without having to wait for every other radar frame to load!.

Thanks

James Raymond
RV-6a
N436JE - Bought it flying

Can you beleive that the Techmeister himself (Doug) doesn't carry a Blackberry?!!

I knew that if I showed him the weather page loading that he'd see the need for a shortened version. While I was still shootign the GPS approach into home base, he had already gotten home and had the short version prototyped....there was an email waiting at home for me with the URL!

It's really a quick way to see trends and get a METAR. I told Doug it was kind of a "less is more" approach. If I'm actually going to fly, then I check out the full story with something like Weathermeister!

Paul

Last edited:
weather

I agree that it is an excellent feature. I have already set the URL as a favorite on my PDA.

Thanks Doug,

Tony

For some reason, I cannot get the radar image to load. Is there something in my setup on my Blackberry that I need to change to make that work?

Also, can I request two additional maps? How about an airport depiction map showing airports reporting VFR, MFR, and IFR? Also, the Mountain obscuration map is useful as well.

f1rocket said:
For some reason, I cannot get the radar image to load. Is there something in my setup on my Blackberry that I need to change to make that work?

Also, can I request two additional maps? How about an airport depiction map showing airports reporting VFR, MFR, and IFR? Also, the Mountain obscuration map is useful as well.

Hmm....the radar map works fine for me Randy, but I have no idea how to customize the BB settings - they just handed it to me and I use it. It might depend on which model - I think I've had four different ones in two years, and everyone in my office has different units with different displays and capabilities.

I'd hesitate to have Doug add much more, because the original intent was to make the page as skinny as possible to make it load quickly. I'd trade off the "close-up" radar links at the bottom for the VFR/MVFR/IFR map though...and of course, you can (and sometimes I do) download the main VAF weather page to get more stuff - it just takes longer!

Paul

f1rocket said:
How about an airport depiction map showing airports reporting VFR, MFR, and IFR? Also, the Mountain obscuration map is useful as well.

What I did was create direct links to these maps and added them to my favorites. This allows me to get the quick page but also allows me to view these maps if I want to.

Thanks Paul. I think I'm timing out on the load. I'm pretty sure I have Java enabled.

I find the airport depiction chart very useful for VFR flying as it, in a sense, interprets the weather conditions for you as seen from the ground in the form of a green, yellow, or red dot.

Thanks for your quick response Paul.

Yep - the WX page is nice. Works well with my Treo 700p. Now, how about a duscission board formatted a little more PDA-friendly??

ScottSchmidt said:
Is there anyway a TFR image could be added?
Evening, Scott!

You point me to the URL of the image and if you think its PDA friendly I'll certainly add it (assuming we're talking about the 'PDA WX' page).

Best,
dr

TFR for PDA

DeltaRomeo said:
Evening, Scott!

You point me to the URL of the image and if you think its PDA friendly I'll certainly add it (assuming we're talking about the 'PDA WX' page).

Best,
dr

I have looked all over for a good one and haven't been able to find one. This sounds like a job for the computer man himself Mr. Checkoway!! All you need to do is write a program that goes out and grabs the FAA TFR Graphics page once an hour, run it through a custom designed algorithm that breaks it into three regions (west, centeral, east), uploads to Doug's page and walla we have it!!! Sounds so simple doesn't it. If we can defy gravity, surely we can put our minds together and accomplish this mediocre task.

I actually have found a page, it isn't perfect but it is pretty good. The problem that I have with it is the size of the TFR's they display. This page is ran by the National Interagency Airspace. For example on the current page it shows a huge TFR up by Mount St. Helens but on FAA.gov it is actually pretty small and localized. It has all the TFR's the magnitude of the size is not accurate though.

Take a look at it though and see if you think it is worth putting on.

http://airspace.nifc.gov/tfrmgr/conus.gif

Here is more information on the TFR graphic.

http://airspace.nifc.gov/mapping/nifc/index.cfm

OK....But....

I was worried that additional stuff would slow down the PDA page, and as the original intent was to make a fast loading page, that would reduce the utility...but this didn't seem to add to the loading time too much. But....could you put the TFR page at the bottom, instead of the top? That way, if I run out of buffer space, I will for sure get the weather, which was the point!

Paul

TFR map now at bottom!

Turning off the computers now for a bit....HEAVY storms in the area and kinda glancing our neighborhood.....

b,
d

Ironflight said:
I was worried that additional stuff would slow down the PDA page, and as the original intent was to make a fast loading page, that would reduce the utility...but this didn't seem to add to the loading time too much. But....could you put the TFR page at the bottom, instead of the top? That way, if I run out of buffer space, I will for sure get the weather, which was the point!

Paul