N130PM

I wanted a wing cam that would allow remote control and would grab real time audio, including music, tower and intercom. I could not find it, and am not interested in dropping big bucks. So I took a M.S. Life cam, scabbed up a housing and mounted it to an .040 aileron inspection panel. I put a thin acrylic lens in and I need to replace it with glass I think since it seems to really get hit with the relative wind during climb. Anyway, it works pretty well and I have under $50.00 invested in the thing. The audio comes from a splitter on your headset I got from Skygeek. Should work pretty well for a flight down the Keys at 500 feet.

20120708_104651.jpg

Video Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkFCF85OI2Q

All the microsoft lifecams seem to be USB, at a guess he used a laptop to record to.
If you are going to go down this road, I have found that a USB cable is good for around 5 meters max, at 10 meters I had all sorts of problems.

I like the camera location and can understand the approach using USB camera and laptop for recording (low cost solution). Does it work above 10,000' (if laptop has a hard drive)?

My approach is a little different. While waiting for digital HD small cameras, HD digital VCRs and better digital interfaces to show up; I am installing an interim step using analog cameras and interfaces. The system will accept up to 4 cameras (D1 resolution) in 4 chosen locations, uses a small mobile DVR to record all 4 to SDHC card accessable and changeable in the cockpit. Also on/off control in the cockpit. The DVR also accepts audio input from the intercom system for radio calls and voice narration (similar to what you did). Further the DVR records GPS location and several simple sensors (sort of like a small black box). Any music (if wanted) can be added in POST.

The 4 locations I am using: right wing (access cover like yours) facing forward, left wing (access cover like yours)facing aft, wide angle VS tip location facing forward (like Groucho) , and cockpit (adjust to desired location).

I will have a MFD monitor on the right side (RV-6A) (or maybe just another MGL EFIS panel) which will allow viewing of the video streams as well as in flight 'entertainment'. I plan to have an SD card, pre-recorded, for flight briefing for PAX, different briefing for females & for males. :p

All 4 video streams will also be fed to an MGL Avionics Explorer EFIS panel on the pilot side and can be displayed there. Camera 1, forward facing, might eventually be a FLIR camera for added safety & is allowed as a background image on the EFIS screens.

The cameras selected all have CCD sensors as opposed to CMOS sensors to minimize the usual fast moving object (prop smearing) artifacts; and can have RS-485 control to select various camera settings.

GH

Last edited:
Web Cam On Wing

Have been wanting a cam on the wing that would be controllable from the cockpit and would get all cockpit audio. Was not interested in throwing money at the problem so here is my under $50.00 solution. Its not 100% yet but I'm not too far off. Took a M.S. Lifecam and scabbed up a housing from the reminants box of fiberglass, put in an acrylic lens and ran the cord to my pc laptop. Audio goes into the mic jack of the pc and is split from the headset audio from an A-dapter I got from Skygeek. I think the lens gets buffeted from the relative wind during climb so I'm off to buy a glass cutter and will put safety glass in version 2. Its mounted on an .040 duplicate of my aileron cover. Takes great landing video. I think a flight down the keys at 500' will be good stuff.

Here's first try:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkFCF85OI2Q

20120708_104651.jpg

Thank you for the video.

I like the user of radio calls and pilot narration, over the music background. Good approach.

GH

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

Is this the camera you used?

What did you use to record to?

Good to see someone is getting a video setup that wont cost hundreds of $$

Thats the one, just grind all the mounts stuff off and lay glass over a piece of pvc of the same diameter to make a holder. I'll try to post a pic of the setup. I just record to Lenovo Youcam which came with the laptop. They have a cheap video editor if you need. I have not exprimented with different resolutions yet.

The lifecam cable was about two feet short of what I needed. I used a 5 foot extension. Shortest I could find. My mount is slightly in the way of the little "eye" the cam has, I think that may be part of the focus problems. If nothing else this gives me a mission to go burn six dollar a gallon gas. Have the itch to build, so I'm just building small. For now. I think this rig would be great in the cockpit.