tacaruth

Well Known Member
What is the expected lifespan of an Odessey PC680 battery? I have two years on my 7A with a 680. It continues to crank the engine effectively. If I had an expected lifespan, I would try and replace it before it won't do the job.

Thanks,

Tom RV-7A N175TJ Flying

Mine is just over four years, 570 hours. I've blown hot starts a couple times, and it still cranks on and on. I have one of Odyssey's Ultimizer chargers, which tests for sulfation, and at around three years, there was none. Probably time to check again.

Long life.

What is the expected lifespan of an Odessey PC680 battery? I have two years on my 7A with a 680. It continues to crank the engine effectively. If I had an expected lifespan, I would try and replace it before it won't do the job.

Thanks,

Tom RV-7A N175TJ Flying

These things are amazing... Mine is 5 years old, sat for 3 years until installed. I put a load test on it periodically and no hint of impending death. Cranks my XP-IO-360 beautifully. For IFR peace of mind tho, Knuckolls sez change yearly. Makes good sense, and if you do, I'll be happy to take old one off your hands...

Jerry

pc680 story

On two occasions I forgot to put my master switch OFF, leaving the plane alone during a week, draining the battery to zero for days.

Before throwing away the battery I experimented to recharge it.

Contrary to my fears, this battery recovered twice in an unbelievable manner, cranking perfectly.

Now this battery is four years and I can't feel any difference in cranking strength and it amazes me to see the endurance of this little battery despite the poor usage, even when it stays months without being charged.

Not just the PC680.

Batteries overall have improved greatly in the last 20 years or so. I use a PowerSonic battery in my -6 (I need the weight up front), and the last one I replaced was over 7 years old and still working fine.

Thanks for the advise. As the saying goes, I'll just keep on keepin' on.

Tom RV-7A N175TJ flying

My BMW 1200RS uses the same exact battery. I have a battery tender and keep it plugged in all winter. Battery is perfect after 3 years. I have a battery tender cord wired to my battery in the 7 with a plug in under the oil door. i will keep it plugged in most of the time. Also works great when it is time for the Dynon downloads. Don