Blain

Well Known Member
Thought it was an interesting idea to cover the rear stick control linkage. But I have been resisting the temptaion to customize everything. Then I was riding in a friends -8 taking pictures when I dropped the camera.
Guess where it went?
Built a cover;
Now I need to open the stick hole. Not sure how much travel it should have. Can someone who has made this mod give me the diameter of the hole necessary?

For what it's worth...

The measurements on my template are 4 1/2 x 3 1/2 if that helps, but may have been enlarged slightly on the a/c.

Keep in mind that the final throws after the elevators & ailerons are attached will be less than during construction so you may want to cut on the small side and enlarge later when you know what you need.

You may also wish to have your boot on hand so you don't accidentally go a little too far...

I later removed the drink holder, could interfere with the stick...

I glued velcro to the bottom of the boot with cyanoacrylate. A quick pull and it's off...

Last edited:
Thanks, Ron. I printed out your picture a while back. Used it as guidance. Where did you get the boot?

Sorry Blain, I just had a quick look and couldn't spot the source.

I do remember I ordered it as an add on at a relatively unrelated aviation website.

It was very reasonably priced ~$10-15 and came with a chrome base ring which I did not use. It seemed to be aimed at the automotive market, perhaps a place to look.

I did not think I could make it work until I figgered out to tuck it inside itself.