werxcv01

Well Known Member
I am a new RV6A owner. Counting the 4.5 wonderful hours this past Saturday, I have a total of about 10 hours in the 6A. I am a converted C172 driver, so I am trying to get the pattern work right. I would prefer to be able to reduce power to idle on final and be sure to make the numbers, if the engine really stops. 800 feet agl about 1/2 mile from the numbers seemed to work on long paved runways. With full flaps, I was making the 500 foot mark and stopping with plenty to spare. However, the elevator ride down from pattern altitude is not the best way to impress your passengers. What do the experienced RV pilots prefer?

Also, I'm based at a 2600' grass strip, which is smoothest on either end. To avoid too much strain on the nose gear (the heavy duty SB has been done), I want to land on the numbers and stop before the bumps in the middle. However, I find myself dragging in with power, which is not good technique.

Welcome, Bill....

......It takes some practice to do consistent 180 degree approaches....stay with it. There's nothing wrong with dragging it in with power....typical short field technique. Don't let worries about engine failure on approach worry you too much. It's more likely to quit, without you knowing it, after a long idle.

Regards,

I'm just where you are, hour wise in my 6A. Previously, I'd been flying a 9A.

I've been making more landings with half flaps than full, and keep my pattern much closer to the runway than various Cessnas around here seem to do. Landings have been both power off, and carrying a bit of power. In the Piper Arrow, I always carried a bit of power, and also agree that there is nothing wrong with that technique.

With half flaps I'm usually easily off the first taxiway, which is about the length of your grass strip, so I don't know how half flaps would work for you. I'm also using a C/S prop, which makes a few differences.

Personally, I need more work on the 6A touch and goes. It's easily in the air much sooner than the 9A's. Perhaps I should use less throttle? :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A, 0360, Hartzell C/S

I thought that was an interesting question, and was interested in your answer Pierre. I always carry power because my strip is short and it makes spot landing very easy.

In the -4 I just dont believe I would get through the flair everytime, without some power. (I would have thought this pretty much the same for the -6.) I guess I had better go land on some clouds.

Can you really pull to idle at height and land reliably in the -4 you fly?

Yep.....

....When I first flew Brian's -4, I was surprised at the much better glide than my -6A, even tho' I have a light airplane. Must be the -4's pointy nose but I often do no power 180 degree approaches in both airplanes, using 800 AGL as pattern height. Not for short field landings, tho. I have a couple of friends who have gone into and out of 1000' strips in an RV 8 and a -6. Technique is a power on drag-in and almost a "splat" three pointer as the power is pulled.

Regards,

I've been doing gliding approaches on my RV-4 since I first got checked out on it.

My downwind approach procedure:
  1. 1/3 flaps
  2. Position the plane so the view of the runway intersects the wing at about the landing light (~2 feet inboard from the wing tip).
  3. Chop power to idle just prior to abeam the numbers.
  4. Nose down: maintain ~70Kt.
  5. Wait 1-2 seconds.
  6. Call "<airport> traffic RV-4 turning base and final <rwy> <airport>
  7. Turn base
  8. Full flaps
  9. Prop to fine pitch
  10. Slip as needed. Ideally it should take a bit of moderate slip to get on the correct glide slope. I consider it a screw-up if no slip is needed, I have to add power, or if I have to use an aggressive slip.
  11. Shorten or extend the base leg as needed. I often finish the turn to final just prior to the flare. When I'm feeling "on" and want to have a little fun, I keep it super-tight and don't finish the turn until well into the flare.
  12. Shoot to complete the flare about 100' or so before the threshold with about 60kt airspeed.
  13. When I get it right, the plane drops in with a little bump on or near the numbers in three-point attitude.

It's fun to do it that way though I have gotten the occasional comment from passengers. I feel that using the gliding approach as my SOP will help keep me prepared in the event of an engine-out. I hope I never have to test that, though.

Last edited:
I like to chop the power abeam the numbers, roll 1/2 flaps in and start the base to final turn. Then slip at 70-75 MPH until ready to flare. I don't add power in 3 point or wheel landings. I'm off at the 1800' mark. I still don't know how to short field land it.