Bill Wightman

Well Known Member
News just in: The US Patent and Trademark Office just notified me that our patent application for the Terminal Tool has been APPROVED. In fact, all 20 claims associated with patenting the apparatus and method have been approved.

To boil this patent down to its essence, the TT is the only tool of its kind that shrinks a wire terminal ferrule onto the wire and achieves a near-circular cross sectional shape in the end. There is no creasing, indenting, or smashing of the ferrule. The finished connection maintains very high physical strength, keeps moisture out, and looks great.

In the field of wire termination, which has been developed for over 100 years, I thought it would be nearly impossible to introduce new methodology to make wire connections. But thanks to the RV market place and some persistence, the idea has now become a reality!

Congrats!

Congratulations, Bill! It looks like an excellent product. Now, if you can only find a US supplier for your case... :D

hand-sqeeze version for awg 12-22?

Now all we need is a version that will do 12 to 22 gage wire.

Steve
RV-8QB FWF

Sure looks like a nice tool Bill.

A little off-topic, but I'm curious. We all hear about patents, but how do you get one? How long does it take, and what kind of ballpark cost is involved?

I guess I'll chime in...

Since I'm a patent lawyer.

Patents are granted only by the federal government.You get a patent by filing an application at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in D.C. In due course it is reviewed by a patent examiner who searches the public records for similar technology and issues a written evaluation as to whether the invention is patentable or not. This begins a negotiation process. In essence you must prove the technology is new compared to the state of the art, regardless of whether it is good engineering or marketable.

There's a huge examining backlog right now, with over 400,000 applications being filed each year. For a mechanical "widget", though, you could expect to have an issued patent 1.5 to 2.5 years after you file. If you have a biotech or computer network invention, be prepared to wait a while.

If you file the application yourself, all you would have to pay would be the government fees, which might total around $2000 if the application goes through easy. If you hire a patent lawyer, the total might be around $10K from filing through issuance, depending on how the prosecution goes, how complicated the invention is, what the lawyer's rate is, etc.

Last edited:
Cost, time & follow-on products

Dan, just like Jonathan said, it took 2 years and 6 months from filing date to completion of the PTO review process. Total cost was just under $10k and that included everything (US and international patent search, draft language with several rewrites, several meetings with our lawyers, professional illustrations, application package assembled, and the issuance fee paid)

About follow-on products: The Terminal Tool we have on the market now is a very simple embodiment of the method/principle we sought to patent. Now with this in hand, we can move ahead with more confidence in developing new products using this new technology.

I've received enough requests for AWG-8 sizes to begin development of that size die set. Also under consideration is a new tool that will not require bench mounting, and will complete the swage (the "crimp") on either a mechanical limit or on a pressure limit since our die sets will work under either constraint.

Steve, AWG-20 or 22 is really small stuff. The simple hand tools now widely available do that job just fine. We seek to improve wire terminations in the larger sizes.

That's pretty well my experience as well.

I tend not to pursue patents for my avionics products because of the cost ($10,000 or so). I would have to add a lot to the price to make this up over reasonable volumes.

Of course, all a patent does is give me the right to litigate if someone infringes, and that costs a lot more!

Bottom line, is that it's worth patenting if the economic value is high, if it's core to a business' intellectual property, of if you need a war-chest of patents to neutralize a competitor who has a number of patents that you may potentially infringe.

An alternative to patenting is to keep a trade secret. This works well for industrial processes and software. Basically, that means never disclosing 'how' something is done. If someone else steals it, you can still litigate, but you don't get the exclusivity protection of a patent so if someone else independently achieves the same thing, tough luck.

There is also "Maskworks" protection-- effectively a copyright on geometric designs for integrated circuit photo masks. I believe the same applies for printed circuit boards. It protects you from someone ripping off your design by direct copying.

I may have some legal details a bit wrong here-- I'm not a lawyer. However, I have been a member of a corporate patent committee for several years and have some patents of my own.

I would never try to patent anything without the help of a patent lawyer. It's an area where they add a lot of value!

Vern

From start to finish...

Some of you might like to see how we took the steps to move from idea, to first testing, to a working prototype, and finally to a sellable product. It was waaaay more work than I ever thought!

1) Idea is borne out of the need for a better wiring tool at a lower price
2) Initial methodology is diagrammed with pencil and paper
3) First physical test performed on a machined piece of junkyard steel. It worked! Cost $1.46 and one days work.
4) Decision to try and offer as a new product is made, first Pro/E modeling done
5) Working prototype is built and swaging process refined
6) Patent attorney contacted, apparatus and method demonstrated. Non disclosure document developed, methodology fully documented
7) Worldwide RFQ's sent out, mfg costs researched, material choices made, thermal processes identified, machine processes identified, stress modeling & testing on Pro/Mech, lots and lots of cost data acquired. A ba-gillion emails and spread sheets... UGGH!!
8) Final production computer modeling completed on Pro/E
9) Business plan finalized - project is a "GO"
10) Patent application development and submittal
11) Production tooling paid for
12) Pre-production first articles begin to arrive
13) More testing, packaging, some marketing (thx Doug), website stood up, and now finally the patent app is approved... Sweet!

Here are a few pics at various stages:

First Prototype modeled on Pro/E
crimper_01.jpg

Prototype literally hot off the welder!
crimper0006.jpg

Close-up of Prototype #1
crimper0002.jpg

Production Tooling for frame (investment casting)
frame_casting__tooling.jpg

Frames being cast at WL Castings
frame%20pour%2001.jpg

Finished product!
Finished%20Tool%20007.jpg

One note about patents...

I've noticed a lot of creative people on this forum. Since the subject of patents has come up, please note one thing (this is generic advice and not directed at any specific person or facts):

Making this as short and simple as possible, there are deadlines in the patent laws. They are too complicated to describe here, but you can waive your right to get a patent by doing certain things before you file a patent application. For example: using your invention in public, describing it in print, selling or offering to sell it, or in the case of patents outside the U.S., merely revealing it to a third party without restriction. The U.S. has a grace period but most other countries do not.

So, if you have an idea you have any inkling of patenting, it is best to keep it to yourself until you have educated yourself about how the deadlines operate.

Thanks guys....that was quite an eye-opener! There are indeed quite a few inventive minds here, so I'm sure I'm not alone in my appreciation.

Good point Jonathan.

In my experience, product development was always under tremendous pressure, and writing up patent disclosures usually came after the product was first sampled to customers.

In the US and Canada, any kind of commericial or public disclosure started a one-year clock to file. Other parts of the world do not respect this, and you may give up your rights when you make first disclosure.

Another point, and you may have more up-to-date information, is that the US and Canada are moving to a first-to-file grant rather than a first-to-invent grant.

Here's the difference for everyone monitoring this thread:
First to file means that someone else can patent your invention if he files first. First to invent means that the patent office (and the courts) can determine the real inventor by examining evidence of who was the first one to truly invent, rather than the first to file.

First to file is a lot simpler administratively but first to invent is fundamentally fairer. Guess which one is cheaper!

One more thing. The competitors most likely to infringe your patent are not located in Canada or the USA, and do not respect our patent laws.

Vern

Conservation of Mass

Congratulations on your patent!

As an engineer, I can't help but look at any device to try and understand how it works. When I look at your device, I wonder how it shrinks the metal around the wire. There's a fixed amount of metal around the wire in teh connector, and reducing the diameter must be accomplished by either moving material into or out of the circumference, or by thickening the metal around the circumference.

Now that the patent is issued, perhaps you can share a little more about how it works!

Good point Jonathan.

<SNIP>

Here's the difference for everyone monitoring this thread:
First to file means that someone else can patent your invention if he files first. First to invent means that the patent office (and the courts) can determine the real inventor by examining evidence of who was the first one to truly invent, rather than the first to file.

First to file is a lot simpler administratively but first to invent is fundamentally fairer. Guess which one is cheaper!

Just to clarify, under "first to file" (and it's not clear that's where the US will end up), the "first filer" must still be a true inventor. Example, if Able and Baker both invent the same widget, and Able gets to the patent office first, Baker is out of luck under "first to file." However, if Baker invented a widget and told Able about it, then Able ran to the patent office to file on it, Baker can still prevail. I can't imagine the US would drop this requirement.

One more thing. The competitors most likely to infringe your patent are not located in Canada or the USA, and do not respect our patent laws.
Good point. Do keep in mind, though, that importing or selling into the US is infringement of a US patent. So knock-offs made in China and shipped here would still be a problem.

[/quote]

8 ga

Very glad to hear you're adding 8 ga. The "regular" crimplers generally start at 10 ga, so that leaves 8 ga in the middle. I've been holding off buying one until 8 ga is added, so glad you're going in that direction & I will probably buy one as soon as 8ga included.
brian

I've received enough requests for AWG-8 sizes to begin development of that size die set. Also under consideration is a new tool that will not require bench mounting, and will complete the swage (the "crimp") on either a mechanical limit or on a pressure limit since our die sets will work under either constraint.

Steve, AWG-20 or 22 is really small stuff. The simple hand tools now widely available do that job just fine. We seek to improve wire terminations in the larger sizes.

How it works

As an engineer, I can't help but look at any device to try and understand how it works. When I look at your device, I wonder how it shrinks the metal around the wire. There's a fixed amount of metal around the wire in teh connector, and reducing the diameter must be accomplished by either moving material into or out of the circumference, or by thickening the metal around the circumference.

B-head: You're right about the fixed amount of metal: it has to go somewhere when the ferrule is reduced. Our patent-pending forming process results in a thickening of the ferrule wall.

To answer your question, we use what's called a "transitional shape" during the forming process. Basically, we force the ferrule into an oval as its pressed down into the die cavity. This ovalling is the transitional stage. Once it bottoms out, the ferrule is fully captured by the die set around it. The upper die then continues to move down and by sheer force, the ferrule is reduced from an oval back into a near circular finished shape.

When reduced in this way, the wall thickness of the ferrule grows. There is no buckling or deforming. The finished connection is extremely secure, as it does not rely on asymmetric deformation of the ferrule to maintain security. The ferrule is held in what we call "circumferential tension" so "unbending" the ferrule wall is not possible and the connection's security is solely dependent on the tensile strength of the material in the ferrule wall.

Jonathan: Steering wheel puller - HA! No, but we might have tried it :p The frame/jackscrew assembly you see in the pic was engineered and built by us specifically to have a working prototype of the TT. The first step toward a production-ready unit. This was also the example we demo'ed for the patent attorneys. And, thanks so much for your commentary here... very informative!!

Last edited:
Bill - thanks for describing the process for us. Very interesting and very innovative!

Congratulations again on the patent and best of luck. I hope you sell thousands!

John

Patents are great but the reality is...

unless you:
1. have the $$ to file an application and pursue a patent, and
2. have the $$ for the maintenance fee if it is issued, and

If you really still want to pursue a patent, ask yourself:

3. is there a big demand (objectively speaking that is) for your product, and
4. can you readily detect infringement, and
5. do you have a hugh war che$t to go after infringers...

If you answer no to 3, 4 or 5, then you're probably pursuing something for your ego or bucket list. Makes a great wall hanging. Sorry, hate to see good people throw away fuel $$.

Reality Check

Bluesky: Your points are all very well taken. In fact, statistically only 1 in 500 patents are associated with successful products on the market. With that in hand, you very well may be right.

When evaluating the need for the patent, a major point we considered was the simplicity of the method used by our product to fasten wire terminals. Its very simple, and would be a snap for just about anybody with manufacturing know-how to replicate. Also, the methodology has a very large application and market footprint. For instance it could be used to swage connections in guy wires, and could be used in any number of the hundreds of wiring applications.

With over $50k invested to first lot, I thought the patent was pretty cheap. It gives anyone out there who's thinking of duplicating the product a warning right up front, and gives our customers yet another point to consider when evaluating price-vs-value in the tool. I understand the cost to litigate, but must withold the details of that knowlege here.

This has nothing to do with ego; bringing this little product to market has been a huge learning process and alot of hard work. Its given me a greater appreciation for what it means to be a manufacturer, a business man and to dream the American Dream.

Congrats on a great product

I've had mine for 3 or 4 months and it did a great job on my 7A wiring. Glad to see the 8AWG die cause this was the only shortcoming I found. Let us know when you have them ready to ship.

Still hoping to fly this year!

Thanks for the feedback Terry! I remember your order. Its encouraging to hear of your success - will let you know about the AWG-8. We still need to tool up for those.

Bill

#8 crimp die ?

What ever happened to the #8 die for the Terminal Tool? I don't see it on the Terminal Tool website. I'm just asking . . . . ;)

Dan, just like Jonathan said, it took 2 years and 6 months from filing date to completion of the PTO review process. Total cost was just under $10k and that included everything (US and international patent search, draft language with several rewrites, several meetings with our lawyers, professional illustrations, application package assembled, and the issuance fee paid)

About follow-on products: The Terminal Tool we have on the market now is a very simple embodiment of the method/principle we sought to patent. Now with this in hand, we can move ahead with more confidence in developing new products using this new technology.

unless you:
1. have the $$ to file an application and pursue a patent, and
2. have the $$ for the maintenance fee if it is issued, and

If you really still want to pursue a patent, ask yourself:

3. is there a big demand (objectively speaking that is) for your product, and
4. can you readily detect infringement, and
5. do you have a hugh war che$t to go after infringers...

If you answer no to 3, 4 or 5, then you're probably pursuing something for your ego or bucket list. Makes a great wall hanging. Sorry, hate to see good people throw away fuel $$.

A patent only gives you the right to commercially exploit your invention, but you have to fix all legal aspects yourself. However, there is more to it than just ego. A patent is great for PR and it shows to everyone that your product is in fact unique (not necessarily better, but still), and you can prove it. A patent increases the value of your company/product, this can be very important if for some reason you cannot continue producing/selling your product and want to cash in instead.

Congratulations Bill!

I haven't seen you around much lately. You should come out to Thompson sometime and I will take you up in my 9A. Our EAA chapter has a pot luck lunch at 11:30 Saturday, June 11th if you want to come out.

AWG-8: not for the time being...

Sorry to say that since the market slow down, sales have been slow but steady on the TT. Too slow to consider the $3k investment to tool up and produce the #8 die set.

Having said that - it is possible to swage a #8 wire in the TT. The way to do it is simply to use another piece of tubing that fits over your unformed #8 ferrule. That piece of tubing also should fit inside the #6 die set.

Using the 06-15 die set, simply swage the two together (it will take a bit more pressure, given the double wall thickness), then cut off the outer sleeve after its done.

We've found that plain old copper plumbing pipe from the hardware store works well. And, coincidentally, the copper plumbing pipe just-so-happens to have the same ID and OD as the AMP brand terminal ferrules. Soft aluminum tubing also works, if that's what you have available.

A patent only gives you the right to commercially exploit your invention...

I'm not actually sure that that's entirely the case. I'm sure a patent attorney can clarify though.

In my opinion, the patent system has begun to destroy innovation because those with big money and patent portfolios (i.e. multinationals et al) can easily threaten the small guy and warn him off introducing a potentially useful widget to the world, even if there is only a slim legal basis for the claim.

Of course, anything can be attempted to be patented and some can succeed, but the use of can be very suspect indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvingenB
"A patent only gives you the right to commercially exploit your invention..."

And then from Andy: "I'm not actually sure that that's entirely the case. I'm sure a patent attorney can clarify though."

Andy, techncially a patent only gives you the right to sue someone for infringing your patent! But that's a pretty narrow view. From a business perspective, its a tool that can be used defensively or offensively; to inhibit others from practicing your invention or as a revenue generator from licensing or sale of the patent. As has been said by others in this string, it can lend credibility to a business that might be important to investors, customers, competitors and others. You can license (exclusive or non-exclusive) or assign (sell) a patent. Sometimes you can cross-license the patent; give someone else the right to use yours in exchange for the right to use theirs.

Patent rights are both costly and parishable! In order to get your monies worth, you should document your inventions, apply early for patents (before first offer of sale or public disclosure), prosecute your application agressively, and pay attention after its issued to pay the maintenance fees required to keep it in force, watch for infringers, and look for licensing opportunities.

Everyone in the technology business should be somewhat knowledgable about the basics of patent law and the application process. Be assured your competitors are.... Lots of good sources online for everyone.

For what I paid for the Terminal Tool!

For what I paid for the Terminal Tool, it is so high quality, I still don't see how Bill sold it to me and made any money.

This is a functional tool that performs and is a work of art!

Bill have you initiated some distribution plans?

Patents, enforcement, and whatnot aside, I just wish he'd get them back in stock. :D

edit: Just found one in stock at Steinair.

Last edited: